10/10/13

What Is At The End Of Your Comfort Zone?


Sorry to leave you hanging yesterday.  I actually cut my hand while I was chopping a butternut squash on Monday and wanted to give my hand a day of rest from typing yesterday.  But, I’m still alive so I’m back today.

One of my fellow awesome WW message board members Kathy, is currently globe trotting in London, which I am extremely jealous of, but what is extra extraordinary about Kathy is that she is doing this trip on her own.

You can read about Kathy’s adventures here: Kathy’s Great Big London Adventure
 
[image source]
 

In Kathy’s first blog post, she writes about a photo her friend sent with the caption “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”  Thanks for sharing this Kathy.  I’ll be using this one in the future.

Isn’t that so true though?  I had to step out of my comfort zone to start my weight loss journey.  Staying inside my comfort zone got me to 304 pounds, well…that and poor diet and exercise!  It definitely contributed to years of being obese.

Being overweight is comfortable.  I could eat whatever I wanted and I didn't have to think about the calories.  I could sit on the couch and watch TV all day without feeling guilty that I should have been exercising.  I convinced myself that I was sparing heartache by hiding behind my weight and not going on dates or dismissing men who “didn’t like me for me.” 

Stepping outside of that comfort zone was scary.  I cried the day after I went to my first WW meeting.  It continued to be scary as I navigated my way through learning this new program and this new lifestyle.  I was uncomfortable and overwhelmed shopping for new clothes.  When you are overweight you have a tiny section available to you unlike being at a non-plus size weight.  I was even uncomfortable exercising in front of people at the gym. 

If I had not stepped outside of my comfort zone imagine all the opportunities I would have continued to miss out on.  I met an amazing man, whom I made unavailable to any other woman by marrying him.  I enjoy traveling and look forward to our next adventure.  I don’t want to sit on the couch and watch TV all day as I would rather be outside enjoying the beautiful weather.  I don’t dread counting my calories and eating healthy makes me feel good. 

Above all, I have met some amazing people through WW and I am happy to call many of them friends.  I also learned some people were not really my friends and I had to make some tough decisions to end those friendships. 

Kudos Kathy for this big adventure you are accomplishing and all the wonderful things you will learn about yourself.  I am so very proud of you and wish you all the best!

No comments: