10/1/13

Idaho Wine Run 10K

My friend Danielle and I walked the 10K and our friend Eric ran the 5K at the Idaho Wine Run at St. Chapelle Winery Sunday.
What better incentive to walk 6.2 miles then wine?

The 10K course was a loop course with a few different hills so it was a nice calorie burn.  I finished in 1:36 but my Garmin only said I had walked 5.99 miles.  Whoops.  Looks like the course was a little short!  I earned 10 APs during my walk and was able to keep my heart rate in the zone for most of it.  Since I am working through my back injury right now and I was happy to still be able to complete the full 10K.

There were a few booths set up and also food venders to purchase food.  The check in process the day before the race was disorganized.  I had not held high hopes for the race being organized.  It turned out to be pretty good.  Since we were near the last of the runners/walkers to cross the finish line there wasn’t really any free food left.  That was a bummer.  The lines to taste wine were also very long and not well organized either.  Those were really my only complaints.


Along the course was Zhoo Zhoo wine from Hells Canyon Winery which provided wine shots to keep you going.  It gave us a burst of energy and also some muscle power!
 
 
At the end of the race six different wineries were set up for tastings and our race entry included a wine glass and a bag to hold two bottles of wine (I think that was a hint they wanted you to buy wine).  You could purchase wine by the glass and also bottles to enjoy while you rested and visited.  The wild weather made it tough to just relax with some wine and since I was the driver I also didn’t need to drink much!  A few wines were delicious.
 
We tasted wines from St. Chapelle Winery (un-pictured) which is one of my favorites as they have many sweet wines for tasting.  At large events, however, they limit the wine choices so I didn’t get to sample my favorites.
Sawtooth Winery (also un-pictured) is another beautiful winery to visit.  I enjoyed their sweet wines and they had two different ones to try.  We also sampled a chocolate wine made with champagne and I think maybe brandy.  It was interesting.
Williamsons Orchard and Vineyard also didn’t have any real sweet wines.  This is actually a family whom I know and grew up with.  I attend school with their daughter Bev that is now a part of the business.

Indian Creek Winery had a DELICIOUS sweet wine.  It was $12 a bottle and very tempting but I didn’t purchase any to take home.

HAT Ranch Winery was not a winery I am familiar with.  They didn’t have any sweet wines to taste.

Fujishin Family Cellars is a winery I have not heard of and is a small family owned winery.  They had an AMAZING sweet wine that was $20 a bottle.  That is a little steep for my cheep budget so I didn’t purchase any.  I might be regretting this later because I am not sure if you can get this in the local stores.


Despite the cold weather, high winds, and a slight drizzle a good time was had by all.  When wine is involved you always have a good time!



No comments: