9/30/13

Crockpot Cabbage Soup


I made a crockpot cabbage soup from a recipe I found on Facebook. It turned out pretty good and I wanted to share

Here is the original recipe.

Polish Sausage and Cabbage Soup Crock Pot

2 cups potatoes, cubed and peeled
4 cups cabbage, shredded it fine
1 carrot, shredded it fine
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons caraway seeds, crushed (optional)
1-1/4 lb Polish sausage, cooked, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch slices
4 cups fat free chicken broth or you can just use water
black pepper and salt to taste

Directions: Place potatoes, cabbage, carrot, onion, caraway seeds, sausage, pepper and salt in crock pot. Pour broth over all. Cover, cook on low for 10-12 hours or high for 5-6 hours.



I made it easy on myself and used Oreida frozen homestyle hash browns that were already cut up. I also used a cajun style sausage for more flavor. I left out the caraway seeds because I didn't really know what they were nor did I have any on hand.

I also used a crockpot bag for easy clean up. Have you seen these yet? I love them and it makes clean up a breeze. You can find these near the Ziplock bags at your local grocery store.




My whole crockpot of soup was 14 PPVs. I thought I would have two servings for 7 PPVs each but that is a lot of soup. I also scaled down my recipe adding four cups of broth, two sausages, 190 grams frozen potatoes, three carrots, and a little bit of onion. I used about ½ to ¾ of the head of cabbage.  Mine also only cooked on high for about 3.5 hours.



No comments: