9/13/13

Words Of Wisdom From Long Term Maintainers


There was a question on the maintenance message boards asking if “Lifetime” was realistic.  This is the meeting topic this week as well.  Several long-term maintainers provided some great words of wisdom that I would like to share on my blog.
 
[image source]
I believe achieving Lifetime is possible.  Obviously I did it and have maintained my 130 pounds weight loss for over 4 years now.  Some of you have been along for the whole ride and some for just part.  I view my maintenance as a journey.  That journey has peaks and valleys and also straight and narrow roads.  Staying on course is always what matters.  Attending my meetings, tracking my food, weighing and measuring my food portions, and getting in activity are also a part of my journey.  Above all, I NEVER stop attend my meetings.  My meetings help me stay connected to this program so I will always attend my WW meetings.

If WW isn’t working for you, then perhaps you need to find a different program to assist you in your weight loss goals.  There are many programs out there.

 

This question was posted by RMKRD32: “Hello, I became a lifetime member in 2008. Two kids later, I struggle with being on WW, stopping membership, rejoining, and back and forth. I just feel like there are so many ‘repeat offenders’ that have been lifetime, then gain it all back, etc. Is WW really a way of life? Is it really realistic to count every bite you put in your mouth for forever? I'm not knocking anyone who is a repeat offender because I am one myself. I just would love to hear from those who have maintained their loss for a long time now. I know that WW worked for me once before but never had the opportunity to maintain with two pregnancies. Now I'm just struggling with even trying it again because I often wonder if it really can be for a lifetime? I'd love to hear some experiences for motivation, please. Thanks!”

 

Here are some of the replies from our amazing WW members posted on the maintenance boards.  Many are WW Community Members that I have gotten to know over the years and respect their knowledge.  I also value their support.

 

Luanne (who is my birthday buddy as we share the same day of birth): “I've maintained for 11 years. Is that being successful? My favorite leader maintained for 25 years (last I heard).

Maybe some people can maintain without tracking, but not me. But it's a small price to pay to stay where I am.

It did take me a couple of times, but the first time it was on a version of the program that I don't feel was maintainable. Also my goal weight was lower than where I am now, and not sustainable for me.”

Your goal must be reasonable and something that you can maintain.  In WW we talk about maintainable vs attainable.  You can work your little tush off to get to a super low “vanity weight” but what are you giving up in the process to stay there?  Do you say no when friends ask you do dinner?  Do you freak out when something un-planned works its way into your day?  You also need to LIVE once you get to goal weight.  Is five pounds enough to make you miserable?  It is enough to make you struggle every day?  If not, then why is that five pounds so important?

 

[image source]

Marsha (who is a part of our 5’6” Maintainers thread): “I first joined WW in 1968. I yoyo'ed for years, several times getting to the top of the goal weight range, but never staying there too long. However, WW kept improving the program. In 2008, I rejoined for the last time, lost over 50 pounds (86 pounds below my all time high) and just had my 56th free lifetime monthly weigh in.

That means after 5 decades of obesity, I have now been near the bottom of the goal weight range for 4.5 years. I believe that the Power Foods (Core Foods back then) were absolutely key to my success. Also, increasing my cardio exercise and adding strength training helped. But most important was committing to continue no matter what. Once I quit quitting I found I could maintain the weight I want to be, even though I was never perfect at sticking to the program.

Best wishes. Stick with it. It works. You can do it!!”

I really liked what Marsha said about.  Those are some powerful words!  Quitting gets you nowhere!

 

[image source]

Kathy (A great smile and I love her cute short hair): “I was in and out of WW for 35 years before I finally was successful and definitely considered myself a repeat offender. But, 3 1/2 years at goal, yes, I believe it's possible. I will only speak for myself here, but I had to be willing to really change my life with food and I understand completely why some people are not willing to make that commitment.

I quit expecting myself to be perfect, and as Marsha said, I quit allowing myself the luxury of quitting. I quit looking at tracking as a punishment that WW's had afflicted on me, and am astounded that if I am willing to continue to work the program that I can be a normal size.

If I had to work the program perfectly to stay at goal, then no, I don't think it's possible. But, WW's gives us a really livable program...the choice is mine.”

Do you see now why I love WW members so much?  Wow.  Great insight Kathy.

[image source]

Charlie (one of our male members maintaining a weight loss over 100 pounds): “It's your choice - literally.

Track forever? Sure, if it's that or 315 pounds, I choose tracking. Weekly meetings? Certainly better than meeting people in the ER who want to talk about your weight and unhealthy choices. Life without ice cream is probably a better choice than life without a foot due to complications from diabetes.

So it's a choice. I think we all make decisions based on what is important to us. Is this important to you?”

Charlie always has such great advice and always talks to you straight.  Remember, food does not hold any power.  It is just food.  YOU give food the power.


PODKEY: “I had what I call my "brain transplant". I am 5 yr + at lifetime. Goal was never my goal. I didn't even know what my goal weight would be until I got close. For me doing the process is what works. Yes some of us do use SFT to maintain after a long stint of point counting.”
 
I can't say enough how much I love WW and its wonderful members!

 

No comments: