9/10/13

One Year



I always thought I wanted to be a Mother. When I was younger I wanted three boys. I even had names picked out!

I suppose overall my priorities changed or just life in general but after meeting and marrying Kenyon neither of us wanted to jump into starting a family. I wanted to enjoy time with just Kenyon so every time we would discuss kids we both agreed it wasn't the right time. We were having fun just the two of us.

The question of, “are you having kids” is always a tough one for me to answer. I feel sometimes like it is okay if you CAN'T have kids but it isn't really okay if you don't WANT to have kids. My heart breaks for women who struggle to get pregnant. I wish I could give them my baby-making mojo, assuming my equipment works okay too.

I suppose the decision not to have children is sort of selfish. I don't want to share Kenyon. I love my marriage. It can be hard when we are on opposite schedules to find time to spend together I can only imagine how difficult it would be if you added kids on top of that.

We love to travel. Not having children affords us extra money to travel. I like to buy nice things. Not having children affords me extra money to spend how I wish.

The decision not to have children started to root after I had lost my weight. For my 100+ WW board friends, you know the emotional toll losing a large amount of weight takes on a person. The thought of having to GAIN weight again, mind you healthy-ish weight gain, it just too hard to comprehend. Then, having to take off that weight AGAIN is also too hard to comprehend. I think that is when I really knew I wouldn't be having kids. At least not birthing any!

Sure, I wonder sometimes what it would be like to actually be pregnant. I find it fascinating that a human being can grow another human being inside of them! I suspect it is one of the most amazing experiences in a woman's life. I just won't be experiencing that. And I am okay with that decision.
Are you have kids?”

No, we aren't.

One year ago we made that decision permanent. Kenyon, bless his heart, was willing to “get fixed” so we had him snipped. (Sorry Babe, but I don't think you read my blog anyway).

It was the right decision for us and one year later it continues to be the right decision for us. I love kids. It isn't a matter of not liking children. I enjoy spending time with my nieces and I wish our nieces and nephews in New Mexico lived closer to we could see the more.

I also love to spoil them and if they are smart they will one day realize that Aunt Lindsay and Uncle Kenyon have money so we need to be nice to them when they are old. Hey, I can't hurt right? Somebody has to take care of us in our Golden years!

But before we get to our Golden years Kenyon and I have a lot more traveling to do. There are places we want to visit and countries we want to see. I 100% love my marriage. I don't ever want to compromise that nor take Kenyon for granted. I am very lucky to have such a great husband and I know he is very lucky to have such a great wife. A family of two is what make us complete.

No comments: