9/21/13

Viva Las Vegas


I wrote yesterday in my post about my upcoming interview with Heather at Half Size Me and that my WW journey started after a trip to Las Vegas in 2006.  I won some promotional travel through a time share presentation (yes, you can actually collect the free trip if you hold your ground and keep saying no) and invited my sister to join me.  The trip was quick but included a few nights in Vegas with airfare and hotel.

I had never been to Las Vegas.  It had also been a while since I had been on a plane.  I was surprised that it was so hard to buckle the seatbelt.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do and thought I would have to cover my lap when the flight attendant walked by. 

We walked all over Vegas and I had secretly hoped I had lost a little weight so that I would have an easier time buckling the seatbelt on the flight home.  It wasn’t any easier.  In hindsight I also feel sorry for whoever had to sit next to my sister and me.  She must have been in the middle seat as she was a lot smaller than I was.

I joined WW the very next month.  I walked into the nearest center and signed up all by myself.  I didn’t know anybody in the meeting but that didn’t stop me from taking control over my life.  Joining WW will always be one of the best decisions I ever made.

Since my trip in 2006, I have flown many times.  I have also visited Vegas many times and I am on my way to Vegas right now for a weekend with my friend Danielle.  We tried to organize a girls weekend over a year ago but only Danielle and I were able to make it work.  I am looking forward to some fun in Vegas as we are seeing Carrot Top and the Michael Jackson One Cirque de Soleil show. 

Every time I get on a plane I am reminded of where I started and how far I have come.  When I flew to Canada in 2007, just after losing 50 pounds, I remember my excitement to see the seatbelt buckled AND there was even some extra.  Well, after losing 130 pounds I have even more extra.  I also don’t mind sitting in the middle seat.

I posted recently about resizing my rings and why it is important to remember the little things along your journey.  The scale won’t always reflect the number you hope or wish or even secretly curse it to be.  We must remember all the accomplishments along the way: a new clothing size, a new ring size, sitting in the middle seat, and having the seatbelt buckle with ease.

I have a few posts ready to go for while I am away so hopefully you won’t miss me too much.  I’ll be back Tuesday with a Vegas re-cap.





This is the photo my sister took at the wax museum on my first trip to Vegas

This is the one Kenyon took on our trip in 2011 after losing 130 pounds


No comments: