9/3/13

ChaChaChaChanges....


Well it is that time again.  I begin my rotation to day shift and today is my first 0600-1600 (6am-4pm) shift.  Working shift-work can be difficult to my WW program but it is not impossible.  Obviously I have learned how to navigate my work schedule pretty well in my six and a half years with WW.

I am sad that I will no longer be able to attend my favorite Tuesday morning meeting with my favorite Tuesday morning WW group.  Since I now work during the day on Tuesday I can’t attend that meeting.  I have movedaround many times and met many different leaders.  I am debating between the Saturday morning group and the Monday morning group.  One way or another, I’ll still make it to my meetings.  I value my meetings too much to stop going.

My current shift rotation is day shift with weekends off.  This is one of the hardest shifts to get activity in.  I wake up at 4am.  It only takes me 15 minutes to get ready, but it takes me 45 minutes to prep my meals/snacks for the day and prepare my breakfast.  I usually sit down and eat my breakfast at 5am.

Waking up at 4am already means I am not really willing to wake up any earlier to get in some activity before my day starts (my preferred time to exercise is before work).  I could plan to eat my breakfast at work and use that time to exercise.  I don’t really like to exercise so close to my early morning shift since I don’t cool down fast enough to apply my makeup.  So I just don’t prefer to exercise before work.

I am also lucky enough to have weekends off right now.  I love the flexibility of having Saturdays off!  Unfortunately, the classes at the Y are limited in the afternoons.   This can make getting to a class difficult.  However, I can still use the walking track, the exercise equipment, or the pool so I have options.

I can also just get out for a walk after work and on the weekends.  Sometimes it is tough to find the motivation to exercise after a 10 hour shift.  I think the cooler temperatures will make that much easier.  And, if the weather isn’t cooperating there is still the treadmill at home or the indoor track at the Y.  I hope to also get in some hiking again when my back is better

I have many options for staying on track available to me.  It always comes down to staying focused and reminding myself that staying healthy is good for my WW program and good for me.
 
[image source]
 

No comments: