6/6/14

Are Free Foods Really Free?


(Please allow me a moment to step up on my soap box)



It is frequent talk on the WW message boards and in the WW meeting rooms about “free foods.”  WW uses the points system and all foods are given a Points Plus Value based on fat, protein, carbohydrates, and fiber.  Foods with higher fat and carbs tend to be higher in PPVs.  Foods higher in protein and fiber tend to me lower in PPVs.  Non-starchy veggies have always been zero PPVs and recently WW has now allowed fruits to be zero PPVs.

Foods that have zero points are not “free” and should not be viewed as that.  Once WW made fruits free women everywhere rejoiced that eating six bananas in a day was now okay.  But is it really okay?  Well, six bananas in a day is a bit of an extreme for an example.

Many WW members struggle during weight loss or maintenance with the free fruits.  Just because a fruit is free doesn’t mean you CAN’T count PPVs for it.  If you feel you are abusing fruit than count the PPVs for it.  If the apple wasn’t a “free” or zero PPV food, would you still have it?  Or would you pick something else that also has a point value?

Any diet plan can have holes in it, places where it is easy to game the system or lie to yourself that you are eating on track when really you are eating way off track.  Free fruit and other free foods can really trip a person up.  The same goes for the non-starchy veggies.  If you are eating a large abundance of veggies to fill the volume of your stomach you aren’t doing yourself justice.  Veggies are good for you but anything in excess is not.

It is important to remember that all foods have calories in them, even the free foods.  According to Google, one medium size apple (3” in diameter and 182 grams) has 95 calories.  There are 0.3 grams of fat, 25 carbohydrates, 4.4 grams fiber, and 0.5 grams of protein.  When I put that into my PP calculator it is 2 PPVs.  Would you count 2 PPVs for that apple you are eating?  What about if you eat three apples in a day?  When I multiply that PPV by three it is now 7 PPVs.  It sure does make you think about how many apples you consume in a day.  That doesn’t even take into account that your apple might not even be a medium size or 182 grams.

What else would you want to eat for those 7 PPVs in your day?  What other nutrients are you neglecting because you are eating lots of zero PPV foods?

Are you getting in your dairy?  Your whole grains?  Your healthy fats?  Why do we shy away from peanut butter but reach for an apple?  16 grams of peanut butter is 3 PPVs and I know I sure love the taste of peanut butter in my oatmeal and on my granola bar.  Peanut butter is also going to hold me over a lot longer than just an apple because while it does have fat (oh no……FAT!!!!) it is a healthy fat.

Everything is good for you in moderation and good portion control.  If you think that a food you are really craving is “bad” because it has a lot of PPVs in it than adjust your thinking.  Maybe a little bit of what you are craving will cost you more PPVs but mentally it will make you feel satisfied both mind and body.

I’m not writing this to make you think you can’t have zero PPV fruits and veggies.  I can put away a whole watermelon in a day or two.  I love fruit!  Veggies are also really good for you.  I strive for balance in my diet just as with the other aspects of my life.  I don’t shy away from my whole grains and healthy fats.  I love cheese and pizza without cheese on pizza, it is pretty sad.  I know this because I used to order my pizza without cheese.

Next time you reach for a snack or are planning your meal, think about your hunger level and if you might need something to satisfy your body more than a zero PPV food or in addition to that zero PPV food.  Don’t be afraid of points.  Don’t be afraid of fat.  Pay attention to what sources your food is made up of and know what sources are good and what sources you should eat less of.  Don’t just eliminate a food all together because it is high in PPVs.
If you are struggling than I urge you to take a look at your food and see where you are skimping and where you are over indulging.  Make sure you are getting in all those healthy foods your body needs.

No comments: