6/14/14

Consistency vs. Reward

I fell into a pretty bad funk last week.  I am not sure what brought it on per se.  Early in the week I was bored with my activity and even though my alarm went off at 3am to get up and exercise my get-up just wasn’t getting up.  So for the most part I blew off my activity.  The thought of getting on the treadmill or doing an at-home DVD just didn’t sound appealing.

Despite not exercising I continued to hold my own when it came to my food.  I was eating at home and taking my meals to work.  Last Monday and Tuesday, however, was carb city and I indulged in a few too many bagels.  Boy did they hit the spot!  My food choices were pretty poor those two days.

I ended up skipping the WW scale at my Tuesday meeting.  When I came home from Hawaii with more weight to lose than anytime during my maintenance journey, I vowed I wouldn’t skip the scale.  I did my WI at home and knew I just couldn’t get on the WW scale and make my gain “official.”  Mentally I wasn’t in a good place.

I really don’t know what brought on the funk but since Wednesday (the start of my new WW week) my eating has been relatively clean and my exercise has started to ramp up.  Already this week I have earned more APs than all of last week total.  Slowly but surely I am working my way out of this funk.

I was listening to the Half Size Me podcast Heather Weighs In segment.  Heather talked about weight loss and how we want the reward for our hard work this very minute.  It is hard to take the time needed to be consistent.  Whether it takes a few months or one year we will eventually get to where we want to be.  So why is consistency so hard?


I think part of my funk is just feeling like it is taking so long to get back to goal.  I guess by now I thought I would be there.  I want the reward now since I have been doing the hard work.  But in reality I just need to be consistent.  If I stay consistent the reward will eventually come.

Now that I have rotated to the graveyard shift I can get outside more for walks.  I have also looked at the YMCA class schedule to try and find something else to shake up my activity.  With the warmer weather I also hope to hike Table Rock more.

No comments: