10/6/14

New Mexico Food

New Mexico is pretty much the land of red and green chile. Every year on our visit we look forward to going to particular places that serve food we crave. Kenyon is all about the green chile on pretty much anything!

We always visit Litta Anita's. That is one of Kenyon's favorite places from growing up in New Mexico. I ended up sharing a dish with my Aunt Barb although I had my eye on the vegetarian tamales. I am making a mental note to try these on our next visit.

Little Anita's also has a green chile stew I had been wanting to try. My in-laws have ordered it on previous visits and it always sounds good. We went to Papa Filippe's for lunch one day. I wasn't super hungry and green chile stew sounded good. The great thing about Mexican food is that you can really make a whole meal out of chips and salsa! I like to save room for dessert...the soppipelias. I ordered a cup of green chile stew (with a bit of a kick I might add) and added in Kenyon's whole beans from his Navajo taco. Since he didn't want them I had them on the side. It was delicious!
We also had some of the best soppipelias at Papa Fillipe's. They were fresh from the fryer, fluffy, crunchy, and totally hit the spot! I love mine with lots 'o honey.
We tried some new food creations at the Balloon Fiesta. The green chile cheese curds consisted of Colby jack cheese dipped in a batter with a mixture of green chiles and then deep fried. They were really greater then again when isn't deep fried cheese good? I seemed to have been so excited to eat my cheese curds as I am now seeing I don't have a photo. Bummed. They were really big and amazing. Sorry I dropped the ball on that one!
Kenyon had planned to just snap a photo of the grilled cheese donut to send to his supervisor and then decided to actually try one. I had a bite and it was...different. I can't say it was worth the $7 price tag but we can now say we tried one.






No comments: