10/25/14

Birthday Countdown Complete

Today is my 35th Birthday. Yahooooo!!!


Birthday Weekend Extravaganza continued last night with a meet-up at Mai Thai with some of my favorite gals. We went to Mai Thai last year and and had so much fun I wanted to go again. Their drink menu is amazing and the small food plates offered during happy hour are really yummy. The only bummer was the service this year wasn't that great.

This is the chandelier at Mai Thai.  Isn't it beautiful



Kate, Danielle (who's birthday was on October 7th), Natalie, and my sister Jenny all met up for drinks, food, and girl talk.






I had eaten at SouperSalad late in the afternoon so instead of ordering food I went for my 2-for-1 drinks first. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and have a drink off the whiskey and gin menus.

First up was The Reformation: “Leopold Bros' peach whiskey John D. Taylor's Velvet Falernum, and fresh-squeezed lemon and orange juices served over crushed ice in a collins glass with a dry red wine float, orange slice, and a cherry.” Oh Wow! This was delicious. Having the dry red wine float made it more like a sangria-type drink and I love anything with orange juice. I really enjoyed this drink.



My second drink was Tiger Blossom: “Hendrick's gin, Pama pomegranate liqueur, St. Germain elderflower cordial, agave nectar, yuzu juice, and English cucumber served up with a cucumber slice.” I love anything that is served in a martini glass. This drink was also a good choice but not as sweet at my first drink. I had though maybe I was order my less sweet drink first but that wasn't the case. I liked my first drink better.



Last time we visited Mai Thai I ordered the pot stickers and Asian chicken lettuce wraps. Natalie ordered the Asian Garden Roll and I thought that looked good so I decided to order that too. Asian Garden Roll: “Think of this as a sushi salad stuffed with spring mix, cucumber, avocado, red bell peppers, radish sprouts, and carrots with a shiso pesto and coconut ginger glaze.” This was a very wise choice and I loved the crunch of the red bell pepper in the middle. I gave Jenny one of my rolls in exchange for one of her chicken pot stickers.


I was holding out that maybe they would deliver some coconut ice cream to the table again as they did last year. Since it was so busy and our service was super slow I ordered one ice cream for the table to share and asked for our checks. Our server came back with the check saying he comped the ice cream for our birthdays and it would be on its way shortly. Yeah! Both Danielle and I got our ice cream served with a sparkler. My favorite part of visiting Mai Thai (well, that and the drinks!).
You can see Jenny was taking a photo too.



Roller skating fun is planned for today followed by an after-party in the park with bakery cupcakes. Mmmmm......


No comments: