2/20/15

There Is A First Time For Everything


I did something yesterday that I have never done before.

I kept my shoes on when I got on the scale at the doctor’s office.

I’m pretty surprised myself of this decision.  While I was getting ready for a visit with a new-to-me endocrinologist, that old anxiety of the scale, being weighed in, and lectured on my weight started to set in.  While I have been going to this office for a few years this was not a doctor I had met yet.  My favorite endocrinologist left the practice last year and I was very sad to see her go.  She knew my story and I didn’t feel judged for my increase in weight when I saw her last year.

Since I’ve lost my weight I have not experienced the same type of doctor visits as I did in my pre-WW days.  I now use the small blood pressure cup.  I now use the regular size dressing gown.  I don’t get lectured on my weight during my visits.  But that old anxiety has slipped back in since my weight went up.

For the past eight years I have lived my life according to what the scale number said.  Through the years that number has made me feel happy, frustrated, neutral, and even made me cry.  So I decided before I headed to my appointment that I would not take my shoes off.  Yes, my weight will show higher than it would if I took my shoes off.  I was dressed in my workout clothes and I also kept my jacket on.  I, however, did not weigh with my purse on my shoulder.  Even I have to draw the line somewhere!  I had eaten breakfast and drank plenty of fluids for my blood draw.

The results?  I was 203 pounds.  Clearly not the mammoth scale number my mind was predicting. 

You want to hear something funny?  The nurse asked me to remove my shoes so she could get my height.  Ha!  I almost thought about getting back on the scale sans shoes but I didn’t.  I am proud of myself that I didn’t.  I showed that scale who was boss!

My sister Katie would also be proud of me.  She is a medical assistant and says it is really annoying that all women have to remove their shoes before they get on the scale.  Like I said before, we are often tied to the scale and the validation is gives us. 

1 comment:

Dawny said...

i REALLY REALLY love this..

coming from me who is on the fence in deciding if I switch my weigh in to an evening meeting after ONLY weighing in first thing in the morning pre-eat/drink ANYTHING for the last 11 years!!!!