8/18/17

Learning To Pack In A Carry-On


I’m not exactly sure where the idea of considering packing carry-on only developed.  I stumbled across a packing video and it started to interest me about learning more on how to pack lighter.  I’m not the best packer and the times I’ve worn a backpack carry-on, I’ve been miserable.  Once we selected some new luggage (international carry-on sizes are smaller than domestic carry-on sizes) the task of learning to pack in a carry-on suitcase took hold and major research begun!

I’ve heard of the rolling method and watched a zillion videos on You Tube with suggestions for the best way to pack.  I’ve also learned of packing cubes, which can help keep your rolled clothes contained.  I’ve been using packing folders for a few years now after Kenyon introduced me to them.  It is nice to travel with your clothes compact and organized.

Three weeks ago, I did a test pack with all the clothes I thought I would take with me on our upcoming NYC/New England Cruise vacation.  Then, I rolled them and stuffed them all inside my new Eagle Creek Load Warrior 20 inch carry-on suitcase.  I was able to get it all in there and the final weight was 17 pounds.  The next test would be using the packing cubes.

My second test pack didn’t go as smoothly.  Using the packing cubes felt difficult and I wouldn’t figure out how to make the “puzzle” fit.  By the time I had packed, unpacked, and tried several more times, I was frustrated and sweating to death.  I was mostly angry that I was able to fit it all in once but with the packing cubes couldn’t seem to get it all in there.






I started to look closer at what I was packing and if I could “stretch” the length of my clothing longer.  Kenyon and I have watched a ton of packing videos and other travel videos and have found tons of trips and tricks.  One thing experience carry-on travelers do is pack less and sink wash their clothes.  Also, Rick Steves explained that American’s seem to think they need to wash their clothes more often than other countries so the answer was to pack less and wear my clothes for more days and/or sink wash.  (Side note: we can pay to do laundry on the ship so that is also an options)

After we visited Shapiro, I also got some ideas on which packing cubes/folders fit best in my type of suitcase and how I can maximize the space with the smaller amount of clothing I now planned to pack.  We left Shapiro with several packing items and went home to try another test pack.

 








Thankfully, it was a success!  I got everything I needed into my carry-on only and it was now 14 pounds.  I ended up using a packing folder and rolling my pants and dresses in the bottom of my suitcase.  I also used the pocket on the inner part of the suitcase to house my socks, undies, swimsuit, and sports bras. 
The answer definitely was to pack less clothes.  Another part of the equations was knowing what outfits I will wear (jeans vs. capris) on what days.  That allowed me to pack less socks because I know I can sink wash socks on our first at-sea day on our cruise.  Now, we just have to wait until it gets closer to see what the weather will look like.

Here is what I am planning to pack for 9-days (I’ll wear the same items over/back) in my carry-on as far as clothes go:

2 maxi dresses to wear during the cruise

1 swoop neck shirt to wear during the cruise

1 shrug that matches both dresses and the swoop neck shirt

1 undergarment for my dresses

3 t-shirts

3 tank tops for under my t-shirts

1 t-shirt hoodie for layering

1 jean capri

3 short socks for capris

3 regular size socks for jeans

4 pairs of underwear

1 workout capri for lounging and working out on the ship

1 workout top

1 sport bra

1 swim suit

1 pair of sandals

 

I plan to wear my jeans, a t-shirt, a t-shirt hoodie, a pair of socks, and my tennis shoes.  This way I will have these items to use throughout the vacation and I’ll plan to wear the same items home so I can re-pack my carry-on.  I am also wearing my ScottEvest Chloe Glo jacket, which has lots of pockets making it an easy carry-on addition.

Other items to note: I plan to sick wash undies and socks.  I plan to use my lounge/workout wear for swimsuit cover-up if we use the on-ship amenities.  I also mapped out the days I would be likely to wear capris and sandals (we have two at-sea days) and what days I am likely to wear jeans.  I had planned to pack on pair of jeans and wear one and pack two pairs of capris.  But, as Rick Steves says, between the whole 11-days, I can wear the same jeans/capris without washing them.  It won’t kill me (but we will see if I start stinking).  I plan to wear my shirts/tanks at least three times each.  If it appears they are starting to stink, sink washing the pit area should be fairly easy.

And once again, we can pay to do laundry on the ship.  Norwegian Cruise Line doesn’t have laundry rooms on the ship so you do have to pay a perineum for them to wash your clothes.

We are using this trip as practice for Europe and hopefully we can keep perfecting our skills and our packing list.  We really like the idea of hassle-free carry-on only travel.

No comments: