5/5/13

BMI Chart


One of the components of the WW plan that has always bugged me is the use of the BMI chart to determine a person’s goal weight.

The BodyMass Index (BMI) chart is defined by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as “a number calculated from a person’s weight and height.  BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problem.”

Did you see above where it said “calculated from a person’s weight and height?”

That means that my BMI chart number is the same as a man who is also 5’6”.  Since gender isn’t even taken into consideration, this is not a very realistic indicator if you ask me.


When I enter my information into the calculator, my height of 5’6” and my weight of 175:

My BMI is 28.2 and that indicates that I am overweight.

A BMI below 18.5 is underweight

18.5-24.9 is normal

25.0 – 29.9 is overweight

30.0 and above is obese

My starting weight with WW was 304.6 pounds and my BMI was 49.1.  I lost 130 pounds and maintain around 175 pounds.  Even after losing 130 pounds, a BMI of 28.2 means I am still not in the “normal” category.  I am happy to be in the overweight category.  I have no desire to lose more weight and I have never had the desire to be 155 pounds, the top of my weight range that WW suggests.  I honestly don’t even think that is a weight I could maintain even if I wanted to.  I also don’t see myself growing any taller either!

So, I guess just being happy with where I am is a good place to be.

No comments: