5/19/13

Motivation


There was a person on the message boards that asked how to keep the motivation alive.

 

There was some really great advice given by many maintenance members.  Here are some of the replies:

50TimeTo Lose80 wrote, “I haven't been on maintenance long enough to have this problem, but back when I was starting to lose, I made a list of reasons why I wanted to attain a healthy weight. Maybe making a list of very specific reasons why you want to maintain your weight (and looking at it often) would be helpful.”


Regina wrote, “I broke my ultimate weight loss goal into much smaller steps - 5 lbs each. When I started this last time (I've battled my weight my entire life) I wasn't even sure I could make it to goal, just desperately wanted to be back under 200 lbs as I was turning 50 and was having terrible knee pain. I had a rough start as I didn't lose any appreciable amount of weight my first 6 weeks. Then I took a much closer look at the quality of my diet and then the scale started to move with the reduction of processed carbs and an increase in protein.

I just kept focusing on each 5 lb star and then eventually I finally believed I could attain goal and formally set my goal weight.

And as others will sure remind you, you have to think of this as a lifestyle change. Whatever you do at this phase (food, exercise, etc.) you need to be ready to do for the rest of your life or for as long as you want to keep the weight off.

Good luck!”


Brian wrote, “When I started, I only went because my wife was interested, and I felt it wouldn't be fair to have her go alone. Once I signed up, I told myself that I was going to stick with it for a year and then evaluate whether it worked or not.

Why a year? Because I thought I'd take a while to get the hang of it, and maybe stumble and fall a few times. I thought anything shorter than that wouldn't be a fair shot.

So with that, I didn't have much of a choice. I just felt like, "If it's today, I'm going to do it. Once it's been a year, I'll see if I want to keep going."

As I searched out new things, I found food and activities I liked and decided what pre-WW food and activities were still worth keeping.

So, I got a lot of mood boosters from compliments and seeing the change in the mirror, and maybe getting this close to a 5-pound star some weeks, but I really didn't have a specific motivation that kept me going.”

 
Annette wrote, “I haven't been on maintenance long (about 6 months), but will tell you that for me, motivation is overrated. Honestly, I can be pretty lazy.

What works for me is routines. Habits. Having the same breakfast every morning is one less decision I have to make - and it covers a whole grain, a fruit and my 2 oil GHGs - oh, and 3 cups of liquid. Meeting my cousin for Pilates every Thurs. means 1 day of activity preplanned. Etc.

Find ways to make the healthier choice the easiest choice. Build one at a time. Make each a habit. And don't be afraid to try something and decide it doesn't work. If I eventually get bored with my oatmeal - I'll just try something else! “

 

Kajilbm wrote, “I don't look for motivation I treat tracking, measuring, exercising, being accountable as must do's like brushing my teeth and showering.”




Judy wrote:I found keeping plan friendly foods in the house kept me on plan. Preplanning also was a big help any time I was eating out of my comfort zone.

I also developed routines for certain stress situations. I have a set of "rules" for handling eating out.

I came up with other ways to comfort myself when I was upset. Although, if I did eat I made sure it was complex carbs not anything processed, as in cooked dried beans versus cookies.

One tip I have seen is to always track what you eat no matter how bad it is. Always face the actuality of the situation.”


Kathy wrote: “I had been overweight for a very long time, and there had been nothing all my dieting attempts to make me believe I could do it...but there was nothing like being lucky enough to survive an obesity related cancer to get my attention.

It took me a long time to reach goal, 3 1/2 years, and there were some serious stumbles along the way...but as someone said, ‘What's the Alternative’, I'm so glad I wanted to live.

I was another that took it 5 pounds at a time, never even dreamed I could make WW's healthy weight range; the advantage in going slower, for me, meant that gradually the bad habits were replaced and the way I eat truly is completely different than it was 7 years ago.

This program really does work when we do our part...you can do it!”


Suralottie1 wrote: “Why did you join WW? Have your feelings about that reason changed? When my weight which felt like a ‘fat suit’ to me started to come off I found myself feeling better and more energized. This is motivating! When I stopped thinking of it as a diet I no longer felt deprived. Yes old habits are easy to fall back into but I've learned to track them and that helps me feel I am OP which I am! Good choices with time become second nature. YOU are worth it! What is the alternative? Gaining more-poor health-tight clothes and needing to lose even more when you feel you need ‘to do something’ about your weight which invariably happens. If not now when?”

And finally, my advice to the original poster:


Motivation will only take you so far. As Regina said, this is a lifestyle change. And small steps are the best way to look at it. I also loved getting my 5 lb stars. I had a lot to lose so looking at it all at once was overwhelming. I would have been happy with just 20 lbs. Then I felt so good I kept going.

I now miss my healthy eating when I am on vacation or those times when I am feeling low on motivation to cook meals and track accurately. Luckily, weeks like that only last a short time. I find tracking isn't a chore but part of everyday life. The same goes with weighing and measuring my foods.

I enjoy my meetings and my leader and look forward to going each week. WW is just a part of my life!
 


 

No comments: