3/29/15

200 Squat Challenge


When I am at work I coexist in a very tiny space tethered to a computer and radio console by a cord. 


For me to leave my tiny space I have to ask a partner to listen to my channels.  This means that unless I need to use the bathroom, get some coffee, or warm up some food I pretty much sit at my console for my whole 10 hour shift.  Let’s not even get started on how I break all the WW Rules by eating in front of my computer while multi-tasking and inhaling my food before it turns cold.  I can’t even count the number of times I have answered the radio with a mouth full of food.
As you can imagine there isn’t much room in my workday for activity.  You will sometimes see me pacing back and forth to stay awake and/or shave off boredom.  My coworker and graveyard partner Ian started doing some sort of activity, usually push-ups, once an hour.  It is a small way to be active, gets you out of your chair, and slowly adds up to a bigger amount of activity throughout the day.
Enter the 200 Squat Challenge.
Last night Ian said he would be doing 10 push-ups each half hour so at the end of our shift he would have done 200 push-ups.  I thought this was a great idea and decided I would do 10 squats each half hour along with him.  We got a little busy at the start of our shift with a fatal crash (and other crazy Saturday night events) so I had to do 20 squats at once a couple different times.  I sort of started to lose track and might have even done a few extra squats for good measure!
This was a super easy way to get in some activity and I’m going to try and find ways to incorporate more of it as the graveyard shifts drag on.  Every little bit adds up.

1 comment:

Dawny said...

that's a really good idea.. my office is on the 5th floor, the mail room is on the 1st floor, I take the stairs in the a.m. when I get to work..

I try to always make sure I get the mail on my shift.. and intentionally I go early because I KNOW inevitably there will be something that NEEDS to go out in the mail,
the Dr. is kind of OCD about things not being left 'un-done' so I make sure to do my best to keep the mail bin empty, that means.. more trips up them 5 flights of stairs LOL phew..