5/11/15

Physical Therapy: Round 2


Last month I made an appointment at the St. Alphonsus Spine Center for a third opinion on my back issues that started in August 2013.  While the original problem at that time I do believe was a pinched nerve, my existing back pain since then has not gone away.  There really isn’t an explanation as to why for 34 years I was pain free and now I am not.  I keep wishing there was a magic wand that would just make it all better.  But there isn’t.

The Spine Center has conditions for their patients that before they are approved for back surgery they must go through their STARS physical therapy program.  I am not in the market for back surgery and while PT is expensive, I decided I would give it another go.  I am sure the PT works…if you actually keep doing the moves they teach you.  So, I am going to make a better effort this go round.

Last Wednesday was my first PT visit to the STARS clinic in Eagle.  I wouldn’t say I was skeptical per se but I was feeling like I needed something to make me feel spending a large sum of money again on PT would be worth it.  I was a bit shocked to see that the new patient forms now includes asking if you have Ebola symptoms or have traveled anywhere that you might have been affected.  I suppose you can never be too careful.


The therapist listened to all my ramblings and told me she could tell right away there were some areas to fix.  My hips were out of alignment and that would be the first step to working to reduce my back pain.  I learned a series of stretches to open up the hips and work on getting them back in the right place.  I could tell a difference after just a few days.  While I still wake up with back pain, overall I don’t feel that uncomfortable pain in my hips.  So I am really optimistic this time.  I met with the PT again today and learned two more stretches.  I can sure feel where one of my hips is tighter than the other.  So I have more work to do. 

I don’t feel like these PT moves are anything really hard, it is just a matter of doing it every day as I need to for my overall health.  Much like diet and exercise, I need to not think of this as a chore.

 


I stopped by The Human Bean on my way home for an iced coffee and some caffeine for my treadmill workout at home.  I hate to cheat on Dutch Bros but it is really easy when the espresso takes so good.  THB makes some good coffee.

I hope your work week has started off on the right foot.  I’m moving onto my weekend.  WhoooHooo!


No comments: