8/19/16

Final Upate On New Build: The Final Days Of Closing & Offical Homeowners Again.


It has been a hectic week with lots of hours at work and little hours at sleep.  But…I MADE IT!!!!  We are finally homeowners again and it feels wonder.  Thank goodness.  Now that I am off work for several days we can get moved in and settled.  I am super excited for the settled part.  Ha!

Here is a recap of the last few days.

Wednesday was our final walk through with CBH Homes and the day we met with our superintendant of our home build process.  We sort of got on this guy’s nerves early on with all the issues that came up.  But I don’t think he keeps a grudge so that is nice.  This is my only experience with a home build where I have been really involved.  My sister Katie built a CBH home many years ago but we didn’t look it over as closely as we did this time.  I guess you can say I am older and wiser?  Bottom line is that at the end of the day we have a beautiful looking home.  Are there still issues?  Yes.  Will there be stuff that comes up down the road?  Yes.  I feel after our meeting with the super that he might not be as keen on attention to detail as we are.  I’m sure that he is a part of so many house builds that he really doesn’t see little issues as big issues.  As a home buyer though, you see those little things as big things.  I felt that despite having the 3rd party inspection was a good idea, the super didn’t really care about the items brought up.  As a customer, that makes me sad.  I understand that CBH Homes has minimum standards and from our experience, that is about as far as they reach…just the minimum.  Needless to say, I suspect in a few weeks we won’t notice the little things anymore.  So it will all turn out okay.  We want to be in this home for years to come and I know we will be happy.  And hey, as long as I got Kenyon with me… I’m happy!

Thursday was our signing with the title company and the day we handed over the cashier’s check.  Having the money we made from the sale of our Excalibur house was the most money I’ve ever had in my savings account.  While I am sad to part with it, I am happy for our brand new home.  The title company selected through CBH Homes was NextTitle and we really liked them.  Normally we use Title One.  It is nice to have some options though and we were happy with this experience.  I learned that you have to sign your name as written, including the middle initial if it is also printed on the documents.  I don’t sign my name with my middle initial currently (Kenyon does) so it was fun learning how to sign and not screw it up.  It rarely looked the same.  Whoops!  But we got it done.  Our buyer’s agent then came with us to the new house to take some photos with the SOLD sign.  If you are reading this and on my Christmas card list…you are getting a preview.

 










Friday afternoon we waited what felt like forever for the call we could pick up the keys.  We ended up getting the okay with one minute to spare before the title company closed for the weekend.  Whew!  It feels so good to have the keys in our hands and to finally be done with this whole build process.  I think that is the biggest thing.  It is exhausting and I am so glad this home build process has come to an end and Kenyon and I can get back to normal life. 

Just as we were leaving the house we got a text from our buyer’s agent saying there was something outside our door.  She left us a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a Starbucks gift card.  How sweet.  Nothing says new home like flowers!




We won’t have internet access at the house for a while due to a glitch with Cable One.  So, I’m not sure when I’ll pop in over the next couple of weeks.  I’m sure I can make due of Starbucks WiFi pretty easily thought.  So you just never know when you will see me next.

Ciao.

 
 

1 comment:

S. Galloway said...

I am so excited for you!! Congrats!! I can't wait to see the place. :)