7/19/13

I Tired A New Workout


I am about to admit something that might get me stoned.

I don’t like Zumba.

(ducking as a stone comes towards my head)

To be fair, I did try it….twice.  I just never really enjoyed it.  It was too much booty shaking for my liking.  I am also not the type of person that jumps on the latest-and-greatest fitness fad bandwagon (i.e. Crossfit).  Call me a bit of rebel if you will.

Well, I tried a new workout yesterday at the Y.  I learned the Zumba instructor that taught the class after mine had recently quit and a new class called Bokwa was now being taught in its place.  We were encouraged to join the class and were told “all you have to do is follow your letters and numbers.”  Okay???

I thought about staying to earn some extra APs but changed my mind.  I saw Sheila, a fellowWW member and leader, on her way to the class and she encouraged me to stay.  Why not!

At first I really liked the class.  It was sort of a basic aerobics type class when you learn the moves and they seem to repeat.  There is a basic move called “one and one (I & I)” and you build off that move.  The other moves involve a letter.  For example we did the letters L and C so you use the one and one move to then make a C on the floor and a L on the floor.  It is sort of confusing but if you are coordinated you can pick it up pretty fast.  It also allows you to pick your fitness level and increase the intensity of the moves to your liking.  It was sort of fun.  Then…the booty shaking began.

“I’m outta here!”

I can see why anybody who likes Zumba would enjoy this class.  I might consider trying it again and staying for the full hour.  I was only there for about 25 minutes.  I wasn’t working on any extra intensity so I could see myself earning at least 3 APs during an hour workout and if I really tired maybe even 4 APs. 

Have you ever tried Bokwa?

No comments: