11/26/13

Are You Listening To Your Body?


“The body knows what it wants; we just stop listening to it.”

                                                                                Scott Abel

 

I got this great quote from Heather’s recent podcast interview with Scott Abel, a former body builder who has been a personal trainer for thirty years and is now also a fitness coach.  He talks a lot about the mental aspect of weight loss, maintenance, and body image and how it affects men and women differently.  His approach to fitness and healthy eating is refreshing.

To listen to Scott’s full interview, click here ß

 
I don’t think I will get on the scale today, neither my scale at home nor the WW scale if I can get to a meeting later.  Since I work the graveyard shift I won’t know for sure until I wake up later today how I will feel about getting on my scale at home.  I don’t want that number to have such an affect and the only way I can think to give it less power is to not acknowledge it at all.

I know I need the scale in my life so I can’t avoid it forever.  I also know it is one measurement that I need to continue to stay on track.  However, I have no intention of letting my eating get out of control because I simply don’t want to step on the scale.

Maybe it is time to listen to what my body wants.  Maybe my body wants to be at this higher weight right now.  Maybe it will come down.  Maybe it won’t.

I had the weirdest thought last week.  I saw an elderly plump woman while I was out and about somewhere.  I thought to myself, “I can’t wait until I am old so I can be fat again and nobody will care.”

Wow.  Where the heck did that come from?

When I am old is when I will need to care about my health the most!  Why would I wish to be fat again?  I think part of that thought is just the pressure I feel from time to time to keep my weight off.

What if the scale not only doesn’t come back down and then in a few years goes up again?  What scares me most right now is that if I can’t get my weight back down before vacation, what happens to the vacation weight on top of that?  Will I be able to lose that at least?  Honestly, I don’t know. 

Can I go on vacation without gaining weight?  No, probably not. 

 
“The body knows what it wants; we just stop listening to it.” 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really liked the Scott Abel interview also. Great message about self-acceptance and empowerment