11/1/13

Black Bean And Butternut Squash Enchiladas


I came up with an idea for enchiladas and despite Kenyon thinking I was weird, they turned out really good.  I tried to re-create it but didn’t have any more Mexican cheese on hand so it wasn’t quite the same.  If you try this I would say Mexican cheese is a MUST!  I also bought cheep enchilada sauce and that could have been part of why it tasted different too.

I have heard tried black bean and sweet potato enchiladas once.  However, all I had on had a few weeks ago was butternut squash.  Why not try that instead of sweet potatoes?

I started by roasting my butternut squash mixed with olive oil in the oven at 400 degrees.  I cut the squash into smallish chunks.  I am sure you can microwave your squash too but I thought it would hold up better if I roasted it as it would be less mushy when mixing.

I added the squash, any amount you want or think you need for as many enchiladas you are making, with a can of drained black beans.  I then added a little enchilada sauce and my secret ingredient, green chile sauce.

 

I find this at Walmart and have used it in different recipes.  It is very yummy.

I divide the mixture up between however many tortillas I have and then top each with 14 grams Mexican cheese.  Roll up and place into a dish with a little enchilada sauce spread on the bottom.  Top with the remainder of your sauce.  I like to add some green chile sauce on top, slice olives, and a little more cheese.

 

I added some quinoa cooked in green chile sauce on the side.  It is sort of a Mexican rice type flavor.  The first time I made these enchiladas I used regular salsa and I think I liked that better then the green chile sauce.  I added my salsa to a measuring cup and then added water to equal the amount of liquid needed to cook the quinoa on the stove.  It turned out really well.

 


I have leftovers for days!

No comments: