11/9/13

My Latest Encounter At The YMCA


After posting about how I have turned into a workout snob, I thought I would share with you my latest encounter at the Y.

Friday night I was doing my usual track walking/PT exercise moves when I saw this little girl walking the track in front of me. She was about seven or eight and was wearing a purple long sleeve shirt, black leggins, and tall black boots. All of which are not your typical workout attire. I didn't see anybody else with her either so I am not sure whom she belonged to.

I watched this girl in the purple shirt for quite a while. She walked with confidence and a few times even did some hard core running! Pretty soon I saw that not only was she using proper track etiquette but she was taking it very literally.

I observed this girl in the purple shirt move to the outer lane of the track as she would run her little heart out. When she was done running she would move back to the inside lane of the track to walk. Pretty soon I would see her look over her shoulder, see nobody was behind her and move to the outer lane to run again. At one point she slowed her running pace to a jog and moved to the middle lane before then moving to the inside lane again to walk.

She could tell I was watching her and she kept looking at me behind her. I had the BIGGEST smile on my face. Two days ago I was upset, fuming, and irritated at all the stupid teens interfering with my workout. Today there is this tiny girl wearing a purple shirt and tall boots following the proper “rules of the track” to a T.

It melted my heart.

I wanted to take a photo of her so bad but for privacy reasons (and probably creepy reasons too) I didn't. But the mental photo I now have of this little girl in a purple shirt might ease the irritation I feel the next time I am frustrated with other people during my workout.

Maybe...just a little at least!

No comments: