11/2/13

Top 10 Tools For Success


Kate’s blog post shared information from her meeting about the Top 10 Tools for Success in Weight Watchers.  I wanted to write a little bit about how each one is important to me in my maintenance journey.

Planning meals/snacks – I am not the best at meal planning.  I eat breakfast at home each morning and I pack my snacks and meals for work.  Because of this, meal planning is important.  I am often bored with eating the same old foods so that is what makes planning difficult.  Without a plan I often fall into a food rut.  I need to plan my meals so I know how many PPVs I am eating and to force myself to eat out less.


Good Health Guidelines (getting in required fruits/veggies, water, etc.) – GHGs are the basis of the program.  You need to be getting in your GHGs so you are giving your body proper nutrition.  Plus, Power Foods are good for you!!  I have never taken a multi-vitamin so I don’t ever check that box off.  I don’t always get in my oils or my dairy.  I have no trouble getting in my fruits!  I am also not always really great at limiting my sugar.  Bottom line, I try to eat what is good for you...80/20!

Exercise – I am thankful I am able to exercise regularly again after my back issues.  I am not back up to the intensity I once was and I can’t continue to leave in fear of “hurting myself again.”  While I am working on the 10 week fitness challenge and my goal to walk 12 miles per week, that is my main activity focus right now.  I started lifting weights again at home and will start to look at what classes I can take at the Y.  I gave up heavy lifting a few years ago because it was making weekly WIs difficult.  I need to get back into weights and I need to increase my intensity of my workouts.  I have always known that high intensity aerobics will bring my weight down and keep it down.  But, at what cost?  Do I want to live in pain just to be thin?  I will have to think on that more.


Using the weekly PointsPlus – I didn’t always use my WPPA during my losing phase.  The program I lost my weight under had me eating 36 DPA so I never needed it.  However, I was eating out and having treats after WI that was going uncounted.  So I was probably eating 49 WPPAs and then some!  While in my maintenance journey I try to spread my splurges over the week and balance it more.  I still fall into the “eat what I want after WI” mode and still occasionally go overboard.  I am also working on reeling in my weekends and less eating out.


Finding friends to support you – Support is very important to weight loss and maintenance.  I am lucky to have friends AND family that support me.  I have also had to look for support that fits the needs of my life and my program at each different phases in my life.  A friend that is supportive at the start of your journey might not be supportive at the end.  Or perhaps you just need a different kind of support once you reach maintenance.  The WW message boards have been wonderful for interacting with people who understand.  The same goes with the WW members and leaders at my meeting.  Support is very important.


Measuring portions – I have always measured my portions while during my weight loss journey and I continue to do so in my maintenance journey.  I love my WW food scale.  I weigh everything from peanut butter to coffee creamer.  I cannot accurately know the PPVs if I fudge the portions.  It keeps me in check and accountable.


Tracking food – Do you see that accountability comment above?  You can apply that to tracking your food.  If I don’t track how do I know how much I have eaten?  Or how do I know how many DPA or WPPA I have let?  Well…I have to TRACK to know that!  Tracking has never been a chore and it is just a part of my daily routine.  My tracking has gotten a little lax on the weekends so I am working on that!


Attending meetings – I would rate this as my number one.  I find my meetings have been 100% part of why I was so successful with WW and why I continue to be successful.  Yes, I consider myself successful despite dealing with a series of gains right now.  I am lucky to have many meetings and leaders available to me and I value the input I receive in my meeting.  I also value the connections with my leaders and members.  I understand that not everybody finds meetings helpful and for that I am sad.  I continue to attend my meetings weekly even when I owe money.  The $9 per week is less important than knowing I need to re-connect, re-focus, and keep my mindset “in the game.”  Plus, statics says meeting members lose more than those that go it alone!


Setting a goal – I am not a huge goal setter.  Often my goals are to just eat clean and exercise!  When I walked my half marathons I had mileage goals in mind.  But overall, I never really set goals per se.  Much like meetings might not work for everybody setting goals doesn’t really motivate me.


Envisioning your goal – I didn’t envision myself at goal when I first started WW.  However, as I lost my weight I did start to see myself as a different person who could go all the way AND stay there!  I still believe I am that person.  When I got to goal I was in the dressing room trying on clothing when I started crying.  It was at that point that I knew I had made it.  I had always known I would make it.  I was so happy to have gotten to goal.  I continue to praise myself for staying at, or close to goal.  I am struggling right now.  Just like weight loss was a tough mental struggle gaining some weight back is as well.  I will continue to envision myself at goal.  I want to continue to feel good about fitting into my clothes from season to season. 

No comments: