7/12/18

Gas Lantern in Downtown Boise



I met up with Danielle at Gas Lantern, a new bar in downtown Boise that is known for its unique cocktails.  They were also really fun to watch the bartender make.


Gas Lantern is in the same building at Longdrop Cider, where we had our 20 year class reunion, and White Dog Brewery, which I’ve been two a couple of time.  The food is provided by Smoke & Thyme, which also did the food for our reunion.  Kenyon met us after a class at Micron since I knew he would enjoy their food again.


Happy Hour is from 4pm-6pm and all cocktails are half off.  That is a great deal since they are priced $9-$13 so it makes one drink reasonably priced and even allows for a second drink.  Since this was our first visit, we tired four different drinks.


Smoke & Thyme: Elijah Craig Small Batch, Smoked Lemon, Whiskey Bitters, Thyme, Oak Smoke


This is their signature drink and my favorite.  I was talking with the bartender about the whiskey drink I had in Bend and this was so very close.  The lemon flavor is really good, I love the smoky smell, and it was a nice balance of whiskey and sweet.  I’m going to order this again for sure.  The drink is finished off in the smoker, which smells amazing.


 



L’Abeille De La Nouvelle-Orleans: Four Roses Small Batch, Brulee Blood Orange, Madasgascar Vanilla, Woodford Barrel Aged Bitters


I tried this drink second and much preferred the sweeter taste of my first drink.  The bartender told me this was more like an Old Fashioned, so it was nice to taste the difference.  I still really enjoyed the flavors.


The Southern Oracle: Aviation Gin, Lemon Sour, Earl Grey Tea, Ginger Beer, Lavender Bitters, Himalayan Sea Salt Half Rim


Danielle went for a nice summery drink that would have been great if you were sipping it on the patio on a hot day.  We both really enjoyed this one.


Something with the name 29 in it (??):


Sadly, I can’t find any description of this drink but what made it unique is that it had toasted meringue on top.  When I spotted the bar tender making a drink for another table using the blow torch, our interest was piqued.  It was a really good drink.


 


We shared some fries, Danielle got the street tacos, I had the pulled pork sandwich, and Kenyon had a burger.  We really loved the food, atmosphere, and drinks.  We will be back soon.

No comments: