3/25/14

Anniversary Weekend Part Two

You can read about part one of our anniversary weekend here.



Kenyon and I made a hotel reservation for an overnight trip out of town. We wanted to stay close to home but all the day trip locations seemed boring or we have already been there. We decided on an overnight stay in Ketchum and a trip to Sun Valley as well. Kenyon has never been there. It was a good idea and we had a great time.

Sunday morning I had the urge to go out to breakfast. We had even talked about it the night before. Kenyon was craving lemon poppyseed muffins and we had bought a four pack of muffins at Albertson's on Saturday evening.


Instead of going out to breakfast we ate at home and enjoyed our muffins. We saved a little money too! I had scrambled eggs topped with cheese, chicken breakfast sausages, and two different muffin top halves. I also had fruit on the side.


We packed our overnight bags and headed east and then north for the three hour trek. We had reservations at the Best Western Tyrolean Lodge in Ketchum.



This was an interesting hotel It was older and showed it age but also was really neat. It was a huge maze inside with stairs all over the place. 

Photo in the hotel that had my birthday.  I was born on the 25th.



They had coffee available in the lobby and cookies in the afternoon. That is a sign of a good hotel.




We booked a room with a view using my government rate and ended up in a spa suite. Not sure how that happened but wow! The room was huge.









The hotel is also located right off Bald Mountain, the nearby ski resort. We could see the gondola moving and could hear music from the base of the hill.



We had an hour to kill before it was time to check in at our hotel so we sought out food. Ketchum is very small and yet really spread out, or so it felt at first. We found a Smokey Mountain Pizza and decided that was lunch.


Boy was it delicious! I haven't had pizza in a while and it really hit the spot. I got a thin personal pizza and a side salad. I had planned to only eat half but I hosed three slices in a matter of minutes. Kenyon helped me with the last slice.




After checking into the hotel we headed out on foot to explore Ketchum. The walking path we spotted on the map took us all over the place.












The walking path led us back to the hotel. After a short rest we headed out on foot again in search of dinner. While arriving on a Sunday night meant a cheaper room rate most of the restaurants were closed. We found The Cellar Pub on Yelp and the homemade corn dog was what sealed the deal.




It turns out the highlight of the meal was the Alaskan beer battered cod. It was fantastic. We split the “poor man's surf and turf” with a selection of sausages, cod, mashed potatoes, and cole slaw. I also had a Blue Moon beer.




Kenyon enjoyed laughing at me trying to get up on this huge chair for a photo.




We must have looked like locals because as we were walking back to our hotel this couple asked us where a particular restaurant was. I told them we had a map and they said it was okay they had a smartphone. I pulled out my map and they were surprised to see we had an actual map. The hotel lobby had this great tourist map and it made navigating the city very easy. Take that smartphone!

We headed back to the room to relax and call it an early night. We logged a lot of steps.




Monday morning we took part in the continental breakfast at the hotel. It was quite the spread.











I love waffles and when I stay at a hotel that has them in the morning I always have to get them. I made my own breakfast sandwich by taking the ham and egg from the offered Jimmy Dean one and putting it between two parts of a waffle. So good!





I also had some peanut butter and honey with the other part of my waffle. It hit the spot.




We drove the couple miles north to Sun Valley and poked around the lodge. Not much to see and still early enough that not much was open. I drooled at some pastries and wished I had not just eaten free waffles.













I took a nap when I got home. Hey, traveling is tough stuff. I also went for $4 all-you-can-fill frozen yogurt at Uswirl. Despite some meals out this weekend and a lot of indulgence on Sunday, this was the only dessert for my entire weekend.

 
We ended our night back at home and while going out to dinner sounded good I rounded up some food here instead. We had baked chicken breasts with BBQ sauce, green beans, and cooked carrots. I might have had a spoonful (or two) of sunflower butter to finish.


It was a great long anniversary weekend and the highlight was spending time with Kenyon.

No comments: