3/22/14

Another 10K Under My Belt

After walking two different half marathons (13.1 miles) I knew long distances was not for me. I enjoy walking but the type of training involved in long distance races takes a lot of time, work, and energy. Time is a big thing. My first half marathon was just barely under 4 hours. I was able to shave off some minutes on my second half marathon as there was no major hills on that course. Still, unless I got serious and increased my pace walking for over three hours takes commitment. Kudos to those walkers, joggers, and runners. You Rock!

I enjoy the excitement of race day and I like walking 5Ks and 10Ks. I never try to beat my time or strive for any type of competitive personal record (PR) I simply just walk for fun. I can do a 5K (3.1) easily and often walk 3-4 miles daily. I have no issue with the 10K (6.2) mileage either and I am comfortable with that. I enjoy that distance. In May I will do my first 12K (7.45) at Bloomsday in May with Dawny in Spokane. I am looking forward to that new distance.

Wish six miles as the exercise plan last Saturday I knew I needed to at least get my mileage up slightly. I wanted to get out for a four mile walk before race day. I had also planned to take Friday off to rest before the race and Sunday off to rest after. My back held up really well and mostly I was sore in my legs. It was a good race. 

My FitBit didn't send me my weekly totals.  I didn't have a very active week once I walked my 10K.  I was on the FitBit website and saw it has lifetime totals.  I've had my FitBit since November and it is really neat to see the lifetime totals.  926,721 steps walked and 426.78 miles.  Wow!

Here is last weeks activity:

Wednesday: Track walk at the YMCA
I didn't count my mileage today and instead just walked for steps and APs. My HRM is on the fritz though. 3 APs earned.


Thursday: 4 miles walk outside
It was a beautiful day with sunshine so I went outside for my walk. I was feeling a little pain in my shin between mile 3 and 4 and got a bit worried for my 10K but all was fine come race day. 6 APs earned.



Friday: Off

We walked in 1:40 and I also logged extra miles to/from the car. It was a busy day with 20,000 steps logs by sundown. 11 APs earned.




Sunday: Off

Monday: Unplanned rest day  

Tuesday: Unplanned rest day

I was tired Monday and Tuesday so I never actually forced any activity.

No comments: