3/21/14

Sixth Year Wedding Anniversary

Today is my sixth wedding anniversary.


Six years ago I woke up to see my soon-to-be husband sleeping on the cot next to the bed I was sleeping in at my soon-to-be-in-laws house.  It was about 5:30am and all I could think about was, how can you be sleeping peacefully on today of all days since I was awake early and super excited to be getting married.

My parents had flown into New Mexico a few days prior.  Arrangements had been set to have our ceremony at 5pm at the top of Sandia Mountain.   There was still some last minute things I needed to pick up and using the pre-printed Map Quest directions my Mom and I were navigated our way around Albuquerque. 

I am rarely late to anything.  However, today I was running behind schedule.  I got ready at my parents hotel room and we still had to pick up the wedding cake on our way to the ceremony location.  I had called Kenyon figuring he would also be late as he had many family members to round up and it turns out they were on time and would actually be there waiting for us.  Whoops!  Good thing Kenyon has patience.


I was really nervous yet also excited to start this new part of my life.  My groom looked ever so handsome.  We caught the next tram and rode to the top of Sandia Mountain.  Rev. Loiselle had gone over the ceremony with us in the days prior but I hardly remember hearing any of the words we spoke.  I was just so excited. 



I do remember tearing up as I repeated my vows and heard my Mom comment that I was her “sensitive daughter.”  Ain’t that the truth!  




Since our ceremony was at the top of the mountain it wasn’t private and there were tourists all around.  It was so cold that day with 15 mph winds so the line to catch the tram back to the bottom of the mountain formed inside.  I remember in the middle of our ceremony hearing a male voice on the loud speaker announcing the next tram car had arrived.  We got a good laugh out of that.



Once family photos were taken it was time to ride the tram down to the restaurant at the base of the hill.  The tram car was packed and my feet were killing me.  There was a tourist that commented on how neat it would be for us to come back to Sandia Mountain on our fifth wedding anniversary.  Somebody else commented “with the same woman.”  We all got a laugh out of that one too.





The restaurant staff took such good care of us and wouldn’t let me fuss over anything.  We were all smiles seeing our two families come together as one.  I wish my siblings had also been there to celebrate with us.  I also wish my in-laws lived closer so we could celebrate even more together.

We wore our bride and groom hats on the flight home where I scored two full cans of cranberry juice instead of just a single cup.  I am sort of tempted to wear the hats every time we travel.


This was taken before we flew to NM.  I did a fake tan that nobody told me looked bad!

It is hard to believe six years has come and gone.  I am still madly in love with the man I call my Husband.  




He puts up with a lot and we love making each other laugh.  









I found somebody that supports me, loves me, and protects me.  I could not have asked for a better partner to spend my life with.



No comments: