8/27/15

DINKs

Some time ago I read a blog where the gal and her husband were traveling on a cruise. She used the acronym DINKs to describe her and her husband. DINKs stands for Double Income No Kids. I loved it! I knew from then on out that Kenyon and I would also be DINKs and I've used that when I've talked about our upcoming travels to other people.

I love that Kenyon and I are in a position to afford travel. I never wanted money to be a reason that we didn't go where we wanted to go and see what we wanted to see. We are lucky to have jobs that allow us the financial means to be able to do so. One of the many places we are wanting to travel to is Europe and specifically on a Viking River Cruise.

Kenyon introduced me to the idea of river cruising a few years ago. At that time we ran the numbers and realized it would cost a lot of money and we would have to either cut back regular travel to save the money or we would have to extend the travel timeframe so we would have more time to save. Eventually the river cruise was pushed back to 2018 as we would then celebrate our 10 year anniversary and it felt like a nice idea to combine both the large trip and the special occasion.

I got into my car crash last December and since my car was totaled a big fat check came in the mail from the insurance company. We decided to finance my car and keep the insurance check to use towards the river cruise fund. I also just got a big fat check from my last week at ISP thus the money for the river cruise is now set aside and ready to go. Now the hard part is the waiting! It still feels good to wait until 2018 (or maybe even 2017 as we plan to travel in the fall) to take our trip and celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. It is hard to wait when it is such an exciting trip.

We plan to cruise The Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel.



We will also perhaps extend the trip on the Switzerland side a few extra days. The nice part about having the money saved early is that we can continue to set money aside for other luxuries that we want to do on this trip. I love having that type of flexibility. What I am most excited about the idea of river cruising is that they boats are smaller and the sight seeing is right off the water edge. We will be so close to beautiful castles and scenery.




Waiting really is the hardest part!

No comments: