8/26/13

A Visit To The Doctor's Office





I think most overweight people avoid the doctor’s office because they know the doctor is going to bring up the weight topic.  Like I never knew I was overweight?  Oh by do I remember the days of visiting the doctor’s office only to be counseled about my weight.  I never made the changes the doctor suggested and continued to let my weight soar higher and higher.

Visiting the doctor’s office is such a different experience for me since I have lost my weight.  I had changed doctors after my weight loss so neither of my two primary doctors knew me during my pre-WW days.  Although I am still holding onto an extra 20 pounds my doctors are very happy about my weight loss and maintenance so they don’t hound me about losing more weight.

I remember the days of visiting the doctor’s office dreading the thought of having to get onto the scale.  While I don’t dread it anymore, I still take my shoes off!  I no longer need the extra large size blood pressure cuff.  The normal size cuff fits me just fine.  When I visit the OBGYN office I no longer need the really large gown.  During one of my pre-WW doctor’s visits the gown they gave me was too small.  I had to use the lap cloth to try and cover myself.  It was humiliating. 

If I had not lost the weight I don’t think my experiences at the doctor’s office would have ever improved.  While a doctor might think they are being sympathetic to your overweight/obese situation they are often not.  Hopefully if you are struggling you can find an open way to communicate that promotes “healthy” conversation that isn’t negative or belittling. 

If you do feel your doctor is just being negative, don’t be afraid to switch doctors.  I did and found two that I enjoy seeing and wish I had a reason to see them more than once a year!

No comments: