8/27/13

Get Well Flowers





I have been dealing with a pinched nerve type feeling in my back for almost two weeks now. I came home from working an overtime shift on Saturday to see that Kenyon bought me some get well flowers. It brightened my day. I love flowers.

I am feeling more encouraged since meeting with a physical therapist. The pain started two weeks ago Thursday. It was actually more in my right hip at that time but it eventually got better. It never actually went away completely and waking up in the morning was the most painful. Last Friday the pain ended up coming back with a vengeance and landing in my lower back. I made an appointment with my OB (the only doctor I have besides my Endocrinologist) for Monday morning.

My OB wasn't able to do much so she refereed me to an Orthopedic clinic and a Physical Therapist. I can't get in with the Orthopedic doctor until September 26!!! Luckily Rehab Authority was able to get me in right away and do an assessment.

My PT, Jeremy, was great. He assessed my movements and pain level and had me try other movements and then reassess the prior moments again. My pain was slightly better. I found out that most likely I have a bulging disk and that I need to modify my movement (less slouching) and do some exercises to try and re-direct the fluid that is against the spine. The pain I am feeling is not a pinched nerve but rather the pressure of my weight against the fluid sitting next to the spine. If untreated or not corrected then a bulging disk becomes a herniated disk and cause damage to the nerves. So, best to correct things now.

I have been given some “homework” exercises and will meet with the PT again on Wednesday. Maybe it is mid over matter but I do feel better already. Of course it is worse in the morning after first waking up. Kenyon and I had quite a scare on Monday morning at 3:30 am. I got up to use the bathroom and the pain was excruciating! I forced myself to work through it to get to the bathroom. I felt light headed and nauseous. A short time later I don't really remember falling but I hit the floor. Kenyon came running into the bathroom and held me when I felt like I had fallen asleep. I think I passed out from the pain for a short bit. It was scary. I also hit my left butt cheek on the scale when I hit the floor so now I have a whole new appreciation for the term “pain in the ass.” Boy is it sore. My tailbone is a bit tender too.

I tell ya, it ain't easy getting old!



No comments: