8/29/13

So The Sheriff Hired A Dispatcher


A coworker shared this.  She attended a training session where this video was shown.

Many people will never understand how difficult the work of a police, fire, or emergency dispatcher is.  I am lucky in that my line of work I don’t handle 911 calls.  I know that alone is extremely stressful.

Dispatchers are called upon to do many things in the scope of our job and wear many hats during our 10 hour shift.  Some days are slow.  Some days are busy.  You never know what the day holds and so we are prepared for anything. 

It can be high stress and even higher turnover.  At times you can feel unappreciated.  Sometimes you see your coworkers more then you see your own family.

But, it is also a very rewarding job.  Citizens are thankful you are there to answer their calls, listen to them, and provide them with help.  Trooper’s wives and husbands are thankful their spouse comes home safe at the end of their shift.  Once a year we even get our own week of appreciation.

It is a tough job but somebody’s gotta do it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words. It's my grumpy voice on this and is just my way of saying thank you to all the dispatchers that have pulled me from the fire over the last 30 years. It's what they do and so much more.