8/24/13

Whatever Drives Your Goals


I was out to lunch a few weeks ago eavesdropping on a near-by table of elderly couples and friends (Jeri if you are reading this, when I say elderly I mean at least over 80).  One of the upsides of being a police dispatcher is that I can listen to multiple conversations at the same time.

I hear one of the women talking about buying a new dress for a wedding she is attending.  She says, “I bought one dress in my current size and then bought the exact same dress in a smaller size.  I hope I can wear the smaller size by the time the wedding rolls around.”

It made me laugh (but not out loud or they might have realized I was listening in on their conversation and that would be weird).  My Grandma Amos loved clothes.  When we would return from shopping we would change into our outfits and “model” them for her.  Grandma A was very supportive of my weight loss journey.  As I would model new clothing for her she would ask, “Did you get the size smaller?  It will give you something to work towards.”  Call me crazy but I never liked to have to wait to wear my clothes so that thinking never really worked for me.

My days of working towards a smaller size are gone.  I am okay with that.  I still wish I could get back into my size 12 jeans but I also know those days are long gone.  I am happy that I can go from season to season and not have to worry about my clothes fitting.  I also missed the opportunity to wear clothes that was in my closet during my weight loss journey.  It went from too small to too big.  Again, I am not complaining!

I hope the woman at lunch is able to wear a smaller size dress at the wedding she attends.  It is creative to use a smaller dress size as a goal.  Whatever works for you!  At the very least that she feels good in whatever size dress she wears. 

No comments: