8/22/13

Planning Is Key To Success


I would not have made it six and a half years on the WW program without planning.  Planning has been key to my weight loss and also maintenance journey.  I have to plan my meals.   It is one more aspect that keeps me accountable to my program.

Last Friday I was hoping to get to ride in a patrol car with one of our troopers since my previous scheduled ride had been postponed.  I wasn’t 100% sure that I would be able to go so I had to plan meals/snacks for both in the dispatch center and if I would get my ride.

I always pack food/snacks when I ride with a trooper.  You never know when you might get stuck on a crash or have an arrest and are not able to get dinner.   I got lucky on Friday night in that the trooper I was riding with had gone to dinner before picking me up.  I like to eat out but I wasn’t a fan of the restaurant he went to.  I just ate my prepared dinner before we left.

When I pack my snacks I always pack extra incase the trooper I am riding with needs something too.  I will often put in fruit, granola bars, carrots or celery, and also some yogurt and string cheese.  I pack it with freezer blocks to keep it cool.

I was going to pick up an individual container of lemon Chaboni yogurt.  I don’t buy the single serve cups because they have a little more sugar then I prefer.  However, for convince it is handy.  I decided buying lemon yogurt was silly since I could make my own at home!  My WW Message Board friend Nichole suggested once putting lemon curd into plan non-fat Greek yogurt.  I found some lemon curd at Cracker Barrel and have been enjoying lemon yogurt for a few months now.

I add 19 grams (one serving) of lemon curd to 4-6 ounces of Greek yogurt.  I always add a sweetener packet as well.  The amount of yogurt you use just depends on how much of a lemon flavor you taste.  The lemon curd is 1 PPV and 6 ounces of non-fat Greek yogurt is 2 PPVs.  The PPVs are the same as a store bought container of Chobani.





Mix it all in and let it sit for a bit in the fridge to enhance the flavor.


Here was my packed “loot” for the night.  I didn’t end up eating much.  I had one of the WW string cheeses and the apple after I was dropped back off at dispatch.  I had some frozen waffles and peanut butter waiting for me in dispatch that I ate instead of my snacks.

I packed a bottle of water, carrots and celery, dip made of sour cream and ranch mix, Jiff To Go peanut butter (I really like this for ease of travel), Kashi granola bar, my lemon Greek yogurt, a plastic spoon and knife, two apples, and two WW string cheeses.  As I said before, I like to pack extra to share with the trooper if needed.


Everything going into my insulated bag with freezer blocks.


I had a fun time riding in the patrol car.  It is nice to connect with the officers we talk to on the radio each day.  It is also really fun to see what they do on their side of the radio.  I can gain a better understanding of their job and as we talk they can gain a better understanding of mine.  I look forward to my next schedule ride.





No comments: