11/26/14

Navigating Eating Out At On The Border

I promised I’d share with you more my tricks and tips for eating out.  I feel I navigate eating out well, but I also know everybody considers success differently.  I am always happy with my eating out ventures, even when I have gone overboard.  As long as I have had what I REALLY wanted then it is a success.

Kenyon let me know earlier in the week of the new Hatch green chile fajitas at On The Border.  I was pretty sure we would be eating out at least one this weekend.  I pre-planned by looking up the PPVs of the different items I might order so I had a rough idea and some food choices.  I have been to On The Border many times and the last time we visited Kenyon had the endless enchiladas and I thought the chicken enchilada was really good.  While it is made with sour cream sauce, and you can reduce the PPVs by asking for the red sauce, I really liked the cream sauce better.  One enchilada was 6 PPVs.  I knew I would be getting the combo with a side salad and the fat-free mango dressing on the side.  I also knew I would be getting black beans and no rice.  That was all pre-planned and built into my DPA.  I wasn’t sure if we would be having any chips.  Kenyon is currently eating low-carb but will often have something of a carb meal once a week.  I pre-planned some chips as well, just in case.  Seven chips are 4 PPVs (On The Border chips are about half a small thin corn tortilla so that is still a good portion of chips).

We discussed ahead of time we would not ask for the chip basket.  We didn’t need the extra points/calories/carbs so that eliminated 4 PPVs right away, assuming I would have eating just seven chips.  I also changed my mind last minute on my entrée order.  While the enchilada sounded good since I wasn’t having any chips I wanted a tostada instead.  I did a quick look-up of the chicken tostada on the WW app and it was only 3 PPVs.  So by ordering one chicken tostada instead of one chicken enchilada I would be shaving off another 3 PPVs.
 

The tostada was tiny.  I was sort of feeling the “oh my, that isn’t much” when she delivered the plate of food.  As with most Mexican restaurants you eat your meal in chips BEFORE your meal so now this didn’t look like much.  However, I had a good portion of black beans and my salad.  I also had Kenyon get black beans on the side with his fajitas knowing I would take them home.

Obviously, this was plenty of food.  And while I do like having extra veggies with my entrée and I do like their salad I think next time I think I’d rather have two tostadas.  While tiny, they were mighty tasty!
 
 

No comments: