11/14/14

What Is Your Plan B?

Dawny posted a question on our WW message boards:

With the changing weather rapidly upon us, what is your Plan B when it comes to exercise?

I knew when I gave up my membership at the YMCA I was also giving up my indoor walking track.  While we have a treadmill at home that gets plenty of use, I enjoyed the occasionally change of scenery by walking the track at the Y.  I don’t miss all the extra people and the annoying kids playing on the track.  Plus, not many people understand track etiquette.

This time of year getting out exercising can be difficult with freezing temperatures, slick roadways and sidewalks, and less motivation to bundle up and face the cold.  In these cases, do you have a Plan B?

I have several Plan B options.

Mall Walking: I love to walk the mall.  This is often suggested in WW meetings as most of the morning members are elderly.  I was shocked earlier this year when I arrived at the mall in the early morning pre-shopping hours to see so many people there.  Walkers of all ages and ability were counting down laps and waving at passer-bys.  The mall is a great resource because it is warm, safe, and often there is music playing so you don’t need headphones.  Since the stores aren’t open yet (if you go early enough) you don’t have to risk spending money and there is no need to really take anything inside but your keys.  Check into your local mall and find out how early it opens to walkers.  I heard our mall opens at 4:30am.

At Home DVD:  I have a slew of workout DVDs I have bought through the years for whatever mood I am feeling.  I like the Walk Away The Pounds and the Biggest Loser DVDs.  There is some really good higher intensity workouts and some that also involve weights.  You can even get yoga DVDs to try out in the comfort of your home.  If you don’t own any DVDs ask a friend or coworker if you can borrow some or just get out on YouTube.  I have found many links through various blogs I read.

Gym Membership: If you have an existing gym membership, winter is the perfect opportunity to use it.  I’m giving myself this pep-talk!  You are paying for it so you might as well use it.  Much like the mall this is a warm and safe place to exercise.  Take a class.  Walk the treadmill.  Try out a new type of equipment.  If your gym has a pool take that bathing suit for a swim. 

Take Extra Steps When Holiday Shopping: If you are going to brave the crowds and do your holiday shopping at the stores, plan in some extra time and walk the perimeter of the store while you shop.  You can walk up and down each isle but try not to add more to your cart in the process!  If you know you need pet food start at the other side of the store and work your way to that isle.  You can get it a lot of extra steps that way.

No comments: