11/22/14

Raising Awareness About Multiple Sclerosis


Over the past year I have been attending seminars learning more about Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  My very good friend Jamie was diagnosed with MS in October of 2013 forever changing the course of her life. 




This was taken October 2013 at my birthday party.  Jamie was still living in silence.


What is MS? According to the MS Society website: “MS is an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system that disrupts the flow of information within the brain, and between the brain and body.”

When I learned about Jamie’s diagnosis, I had heard of MS but I had not personally met anybody that was living with this autoimmune disease.  Since December of 2013 I have met so many wonderful people, some living with MS and some taking on the role of care giver, who continue to navigate their way through everyday life.  I have learned so much about MS since I started attending free seminars provided in our area.  Those living with MS have good days and bad days.  Some may show symptoms and some may not.  Some have come to accept their new way of life while others might still be in denial or in a bad state of depression.  We will never know why bad stuff happens to good people.

Like with any disease, early diagnosis is important.  I have heard stories of patients that did not seek medical attention for ten years.  When their MS symptoms finally got bad enough it was too late to slow the progression.  Pay attention to the warning signs.  This is a very common disease among women and onset is often between the ages of 30-50.  Men tend to progress at a more rapid pace than women.  I am not trying to scare you.  It is important that when you seek any type of medical help that you push for the type of care you need. 

The seminars I have been attending are very informative.  While some cities around the country have an actual MS Center, Boise does not.  Yet we have a large concentration of MS patients.  I have been able to meet wonderful doctors, nurses, pharmaceutical representatives, and MS Ambassadors at these seminars. 
Funny story:  I attended three seminars over the last three weeks and Dr. Green has spoken at all of them.  When we walked in on Wednesday he announced, “these are my groupies.”  It made me laugh.  Like I said before, I’ve met such wonderful people!

The food at the seminars is also delicious.  I have been to a variety of restaurants and each offer different types of meal options.  Who doesn’t love a free lunch or dinner?  We went to a presentation at Cottonwood Grille in Boise.  I have been a few times and the food is always wonderful.




Wednesday the seminar was at Brick 29 in Nampa.  This is my second time at this restaurant and again I ate such wonderful food.




The MRI Institute may be able to help with the cost of an MRI and for patients living with MS it might be at no cost.  Learn more about the program by clicking here.
The Multiple Sclerosis Association of America offers programs and services including a free helpline. 1-800-532-7667. Click here for their website
The National MS Society and the MS Navigator is a wonderful resource.You can find their brochure by clicking here.

If you know somebody who has been diagnosed with MS and you haven’t checked in on them in a while, I encourage you to do so.  Everybody wants to know that somebody cares.  Ask them how they are doing and if there is anything you can do to help.  Often people don’t know how to ask for help.  Lend an ear and provide support.

I just found a great web series by Jack Osbourne, “You Don’t Know Jack About MS.”  You can really great information about MS by watching Web Episode 6: The MS Feud. 

1 comment:

Dawny said...

you are an awesome friend,

and YAY for amazing food AND amazing learning too =-)