1/22/15

Cauliflower Fried Rice

I have a coworker that introduced me to cauliflower rice.  I have heard of the many ways you can make cauliflower into other types of foods but all the recipes involve a food processor, which I don’t have.  Kourtney had offered to chop up a bunch of cauliflower for me if I wanted but I never took her up on the offer. 

I really don’t like cauliflower but I figured the rice recipe might be a good way to get in some extra veggies but disguise it a little in the process.  I saw a recipe posted online for cauliflower fried rice and decided I would give it a go.  The only problem was, I still didn’t have a food processor.  I was going to take some cauliflower over to Jamie’s house when we spotted this Ninja Ultra Kitchen System at Costco.  I knew Kourtney used her Ninja to chop up her cauliflower so I decided to buy one.
 
I’ve only used it to chop up cauliflower.  I need to look up some soup and smoothie recipes so I can try out the blender.  I also want to try out some of the cookie or bread recipes to see how it works.  What I like about this Ninja pack is that there is the blade for the processing but also a hook for baking.  I just need to spend some time in the kitchen…then share the treats with my coworkers.
I loosely followed the Skinnytaste recipe.  In my dish I added one egg, peas, shredded carrots, diced ham, minced onion, and garlic powder (since I didn’t have any minced garlic).  I added a good amount of soy sauce and also teriyaki sauce


The verdict?

It was just okay.  I love Jazmine rice so I thought the cauliflower fried rice lacked flavor.  When I made another batch I added in some brown Jazmin rice.  Not sure it helped it much and it added a few extra PPVs.

I love the large serving you get with cauliflower rice but I’m not sure I’d do this often.  Perhaps minced garlic and actual chopped onion might help.

No comments: