1/17/15

You Are So Good

 
Good Morning.  Happy Saturday to you all.

I am sorry I had to cut my blog content short yesterday.  It was a really busy/steady day with the weather and there were tons of phone calls.  It was exhausting.  I am hopeful today will be a better day.

Yesterday I had planned to share with you my thinking lately on healthy eating and being “good.”  I hate the terms “good” and “bad” when describing food and eating and yet you hear that a lot at the WW meetings and even when talking to other people who are trying to lose weight.  We are not good or bad based on the food we put into our mouth.  Eating something healthy makes you feel good but it doesn’t mean when you indulge that you are bad or that you are somewhat less of a person because.  When those indulgences are planned it can feel “good.  However, it is those unplanned indulgences where guilt can start to set it and we can feel like we did something wrong.  You didn’t.  You ate something, hopefully it was yummy and you enjoyed it, and now…move on.

(Insert photo of a yummy looking dessert here)

 
My eating during my days off consisted of a mix of healthy meals and less-healthy meals.  I ate out several times and on Thursday there was not much overall nutrition content to my food choices.  I blew through my WPPA really quickly and after eating the delicious dessert posted above, I am now in the negative.
When I met Jamie for a movie on Thursday we shared some movie popcorn.  I don’t like the liquid butter on my popcorn so I brought a small brown paper sack to put some popcorn into before the butter was poured on.  When it came time to refill the big popcorn bag Jamie asked if I wanted more to which I declined.  Honestly, I wanted more!!!  However, her daughter wasn’t feeling well (stayed home with a sore throat but had perked up) and so the thought of eating anymore popcorn out of the same bag was a deterrent.  I just didn’t want to make Jamie or Audrey feel bad.  So I declined.  I heard Jamie say, “you are being so good.”  Well, since I just shared with you that I wanted more and probably would have had more had the situation been different, obviously my behavior wasn’t that “good”.  Since I didn’t get the extra liquid butter on my portion of popcorn I had definitely made a better decision.  Plus, I had also controlled my portion size and that too was a better decision. 
It is easy to look at that and think “wow, that person is really good.  I wish I was being good too.”  Such a negative way of thinking eh?
Despite having movie popcorn on Thursday I talked Kenyon into going out to Cracker Barrel for dinner.  Thursday night is turkey dinner night and it is delicious!  Before our meal came (which I was STARVING) I toyed with the idea of ordering a dessert.  I took a few minutes to get my tracker caught up on my food from Wednesday evening, where we ate out at Café Ole, and all I had eating earlier in the day.  I knew I was out of WPPA and I knew I was pleasantly satisfied with my meal.  Yet that dessert still sounded really yummy.  I had a moment of regret after ordering thinking I didn’t need it…and I didn’t.  But I still ate some of it anyways.  It was delicious.
It would be easy for me to think I was being “bad” and needed to eat the bare minimum the next day.  Instead on Friday I got right back to healthy food choices, I packed my food for work and I cooked us dinner at home last night.
I can’t stress enough on learning how to rid yourself of the guilt you feel after you over-indulge.  It isn’t easy and I still struggle with it.  I would at the very least encourage you to break the habit of seeing food as “good” or “bad.”   Nothing that tastes good should be bad! 

No comments: