9/28/16

Was This My Last 10k?

On Saturday I walked the FitOne 10K for the third year in a row.







Dawny, my niece Hailey, and I completed the 10K and Phoenix ran her first half marathon. Due to a delayed start and a problem with traffic control we were able to see Phoenix before she started. 



She passed us on the course about a mile before the finish line so we were able to celebrate with her at the end. It was a great day.




During our walk though, my body wasn't happy with me nor was I celebrating anything. I was nervous about this race in the days leading up to it. The reality is that my body just isn't in really good shape anymore. I worried most about how my back and hips would hold out. I had also not walked much long distances in the weeks prior to the race.

Between miles two and three I started to feel wore out and uncomfortable. I was mostly just willing my legs to get me there and fast! By the time we got to mile five, I was having some upper leg pain. At that point I was ready to be done and thinking to myself that I wasn't going to do this ever again. I knew they had changed the race course and we no longer passed the park only to loop around and come back so when I saw the mile 6 and the finish line...I was so happy.



The fact of the matter is that I am just not in the shape I was a few years ago. During my lowest weight I was really active and exercising each day wasn't a chore. It was just something I did. I have to accept that with my back and hip issues that I need to treat my body nicely but also not baby it. After a painful Sunday and an exhausting Monday, I felt better by Tuesday. So maybe my 10K days aren't behind me I just need to train better.


My WW Leader Donna said she would like to do the 10K with me next year. So I guess we will see what a year brings.

No comments: