4/11/14

Sweet Potato Fries

I love making sweet potato fries. I first heard about this in the blog world on either Tina or Kath's blogs. I was never a fan of sweet potates. I'm not sure why but I also don't think I ever actually tired one so I have no idea where this dislike evolved from. I do think that as a kid you eat what your parents like/don't like. If your parents don't like something than I suppose they would not serve it to you. My Mom says she will never eat brussels sprouts again after a traumatic experience where one flew across the room as she was trying to cut it on her plate. Thus brussels sprouts were not served in our home as a kid.

When I finally tried sweet potato fries I was hooked. This is now my go to when I am making Boca burger or chicken patty burgers at home. I love roasted sweet potato.

I adapted my way of cooking them based on what I had read about on the blogs. Start with any size sweet potato peeled (unless you like the skin, I don't) ends cut off. My camera turned my photo and I'm going to leave it that way. For some reason this looks more like a big banana than a sweet potato to me. Hahahaha.


 Then cut it into fry size bits.



 The key to yummy sweet potato fries is what you season them with. If I am roasting them plain, I'll just add olive oil and salt. If I'm making fries I put in a mix of cinnamon and Mrs. Dash southwest chipotle seasoning. I saw on a blog a recommendation to use paprika but I don't like it




When I spotted this in the store I picked it up and have been using it every since. Really good.


 I put in two tsp of olive oil (the recommendation for oil consumption on WW) and then as much of the cinnamon and seasoning as I want. Add it all to a ziplock baggie, zip up, and shake...shake...shake.




 I cover my cookie sheets in foil for easy clean up. Spray the foil with some olive oil spray. Line 'em up and put them in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.






 After 15 minutes turn them all over and bake another 15 minutes. Depending on how large you cut your potato that should be enough time to make them soft. I have heard you could finish off with some time in the broiler to try and “crisp” them up. These aren't crisp. Usually I can't wait longer than 30 minutes and then I'm ready to dig in!



No comments: