6/11/13

Cholesterol and Weight



I have been testing my cholesterol each year and since 2010 my levels seem to be pretty consistent from year to year.  It is very motivating to keep up with my healthy living lifestyle knowing how it affects my cholesterol numbers.  I am thankful that WW has helped me adopt this new healthy lifestyle.

2009 was a really good year.  This was my first year on maintenance and since I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to stop losing, I dropped below goal about 10 pounds.  I had my cholesterol tested in July of 2009.  At that time I weighed 168.2.  It is eye opening to see what a difference 10 pounds makes.

Here are my cholesterol numbers from 2009:


Total Cholesterol: 147


Triglycerides: 50


HDL: 40


LDL: 97


This is only the second time my LDL “bad cholesterol” was below 100.  The first time is when I was on the drug Crestor.



When I checked my cholesterol in 2013 I weighed 176.  Here are my cholesterol numbers from 2013:


Total Cholesterol: 176


Triglycerides: 64


HDL: 50.3


LDL: 113


I can see that I have raised my HDL “good cholesterol”.  This is due to diet and exercise.  My total cholesterol in both 2009 and 2013 were below 200 even though it has increased.  Below 200 is optimal.  Although my triglycerides level has increased over the last few years, it is also still below 100 and also optimal.  My LDL “bag cholesterol” has increased.  This isn’t a surprise.  I love ice cream!  However, since I learned that the mean average for adults age 20 and older is 115, I am fine with my number.  I am not looking to give up ice cream, cheese, and eggs…again!  I have done that once in my life, oh around 2009!



There are times I feel like I should kick it into gear and lose more weight.  It takes a lot of work and I am not really wanting to give up some of the foods I have been eating.  I also like the way my maintenance journey is going right now.  Sure, I would like less softness around my middle area but that isn’t the end of the world either.



If I was to lose some additional weight there is also the possibility of not being able to maintain as easily or feeling like to stay at that weight I have to miss out on meals out and social events.  Unless I really try though I won’t really know what could happen.



I have discussed my previous cholesterol results with my doctor.  My risk of heart disease doesn’t even measure on the quiz she gave me.  I think I scored a -1.  While this isn’t anything to freight over, it is food for thought on how weight loss and maintenance affects us.  As long as I continue to keep the weight off, which I plan to do and know I will, then the rest if just icing on the cake.  Hahaha!

No comments: