6/23/13

The Roosevelt Inn

Kenyon and I drove north to Coeur d’ Alene for a quick stay at a local Bed & Breakfast, The Roosevelt Inn.




Since I dispatch for police, we decided to drive up SH55/US95 and see the sights of Idaho.  We then took the interstate back through Washington and Oregon.

We stopped in Lewiston for a bite to eat and also in Moscow to visit my friend Heidi and finally meet her little one EmmaLynn.  I saw the University of Idaho campus, rival to my Boise State University campus, and saw the police agency where Heidi now works as a dispatcher.  I didn’t snap many photos of our drive up.  I wish I had gotten some photos of the beautiful vibrant yellow mustard fields.  As you drive along US95 past Grangeville there are sporadic patches of yellow among green fields.  It is a neat sight to see.

Here is a few photos of the U of I main building. 



It was quite impressive to see Greek row and actually witness with my own eyes how many fraternities and sororities the U of I campus has.

We finally reached Coeur d’ Alene and checked into the B&B about 8:30pm.  The owners Johnand Tina Hough, who are the aunt and uncle to the Dancing with the Stars alum Julianne and Derek Hough, were wonderful.  Tina gave us a tour of the Inn that evening so we were all settled.  The Roosevelt Inn is the oldest remaining school house and also where John attended grade school.  It was converted in 1994 and went from a four room school house to a five story inn with 15 rooms and suites.  The outside is just stunning!  Our trip was quick but it would have been nice to spend some time just relaxing in the shade.






Each day at 5pm there is a manager’s reception where each guest gets a complimentary glass of wine.  We missed our first opportunity since we were still working our way north.  Don’t worry though; I made up for it the second night when Kenyon, who doesn’t drink, got his glass of wine for me.  Ahhhhh…that is true love!


We were the only guests staying on the whole third floor.  We stayed in The Burns Room.  There is a sign next to some of the named rooms that talk about John’s memories with the teacher the room was named after.  It provides a very personal touch to what could have been just a generic B&B. 






Since I had free reign of the whole third floor, I took photos of the other rooms.  They have rooms where you walk through the chimney to get to the bathroom.  There is suite on the third floor that has an upstairs with a view of the lake and a beautiful sitting area.














I am terrible at taking photos of my food.  I had my camera with me each morning and only remembered to snap one photo!  Each morning started with a small first course of fruit and then a second course with a carb option.  If you didn’t want the second course offering Tina would make eggs anyway you like them.  How can you turn down her homemade food?  Our first day was apples warmed in a homemade caramel sauce.  The same sauce was on her homemade bread pudding we were served on the second evening of our stay.  The second course on the first morning was an orange infused Belgian waffle with a choice of bacon or sausage.  It also came with your choice of juice.

There was coffee, tea, and water available at any time of the day and also some fresh baked goodies.  The second morning we started with fresh berries in a cream sauce with whip cream.  I love fresh berries.




The second course on our second day was apple cider pancakes with grated apple in the batter and topped with syrup made with reduced apple cider.  It was again served with a choice of bacon or sausage.  We were actually only one of two guests staying at the inn our second night so she offered seconds on the pancakes.  Kenyon enjoyed them!  Tina’s presentation was just wonderful.  I really am sorry I didn’t snap some photos!

There are a few common areas where you can sit and read a book, play a board game, or even visit with other guests and with John and Tina.  When we checked in on Sunday evening the Hough’s were playing cards in the dining room with their other family members who are visiting from Indonesia.









If you make it to Coeur d’ Alene and are looking for a unique place to say, The Roosevelt Inn B&B is a really neat experience.  I am still not sure the price tag is ever worth at stay at a B&B.  There is a lot of work that goes into running a B&B and I know time is precious.  I just have always felt it is a little steep on the price.  The reason for our visit was because we had a 2 for 1 deal my supervisor at work had passed on to us.  I have seen a few GroupOn deals as well so keep an eye out if you are interested.

No comments: