5/5/14

Bloomsday 2014

I have a new distance to add to my race record: 12K (7.45 miles).
I had a lot of fun at Bloomsday 2014. This is a huge community event and the turnout is amazing. Besides the hoards of people that ran, walked, and strolled there were hoards of volunteers. The only they needed more of was porty potties (or at least shorter lines).

I knew I would need a hearty breakfast to hold me over a while. I went for eggs and sausage links and two mini waffles with peanut butter and banana on top. It held me over well into the race but I was starved when we finished and ready for lunch.
Our group met at Dawny's house and walked to the city bus stop to catch the bus towards downtown. Dawny and I made a red, white, and blue costume from stuff we found at the Dollar Store. We got a lot of compliments.
Despite a close call and almost missing my porta potty stop at the start of the race, our "blue wave" started a bit ahead of schedule. We were on our way.

The energy of race day is always fun but Bloomsday is just a whole different type of energy. You walk good amount of the course through neighborhoods and lots of residents were outside cheering us on.
Bloomsday is known for their big hill called "Doomsday Hill." It is a very long and steep hill and at the top is the mile five marker. I am happy to report that I conquered Doomsday Hill!!
Two and a half hours later we crossed the finish line. I'm officially a Bloomsday finisher and now have a 12K on the books.

It was a big activity day with all the extra walking to/from the start and finish. By the end of the day I has walked a total of 11 miles. My heart rate monitor wouldn't work so I am just going to give myself 8 APs for the day.
FitBit rewarded me for my hard work too!

No comments: