5/19/14

Ali Vincent: Live Well Network


I wrote a blog post recently on re-gain and that we should push past the shame a person can often feel when regaining some weight after a large weight loss.  While I don’t watch the Live Well Network or Ali Vincent’s show, I saw her post on twitter of the upcoming re-run episode of when she checked in with the scale for the first time since winning The Biggest Loser.

Ali Vincent was the first woman to win The Biggest Loser.  What was amazing about Ali’s story is that she was actually eliminated from the ranch but continued to work at her diet and exercise while at home.  They brought back some of the eliminated contestants and gave them a shot to earn a spot back in the Biggest Loser house.  Ali had lost the most amount of weight at home and therefore returned to the house.  She then went on to win that season.
 

 
Ali has her own show, “Live Big with Ali Vincent” on the Live Well Network.  I watched the episode “Ali Vincent Steps on Scale and Reveals Her Weight Gain” and I can totally relate to what Ali is going through.  I wanted to reach through that TV and give her a big ‘ol hug.

What made me really sad is that she said she felt alone and unloved.  She was being really hard on herself, which the doctor also commented on.  Living in the spotlight after weight loss cannot be easy at all.  But to hear her say she didn’t feel supported just ripped my heart out.

What I love most about WW is the support system of attending meetings and checking in on the message boards.  It is still up to me to speak up if I am struggling and ask for help.  However, just knowing that I am not alone and feeling like I can cry when I am frustrated at my meetings has helped me through the years.

We all know weight loss is sometimes easy.  You have a goal to lose each week and you reward yourself when you achieve that.  Maintenance on the other hand can feel like a struggle.  It is really hard not knowing your clear path like you did while in weight loss mode.  It can also feel like people are thinking, “what is she crying about, she lost the weight.”  A whole new journey begins when you start maintenance. 

What I loved about this episode is the doctor did some body fat measurements to give Ali a larger picture than just the scale.  Ali has a BMI of 20.  The doctor told her she didn’t need to lose weight and that she is at a healthy BMI.  He told the camera that she is just too hard on herself.  Ali is a super athlete and part of what helped her win The Biggest Loser was the drive for the extreme that she has inside her. However, Ali doesn’t like the number on the scale and in her mind she shinks she should be less.  She also kept referring to herself as “fat and thick.”  I also can relate to that feeling.

I wish Ali all the luck in the world in getting to a place where she is happy.  She is an amazing athlete and mentor for living a healthy lifestyle.  The thought that she doesn’t feel her public image allows her to ask for help is ridiculous if you ask me.  Everybody deserves help when they are struggling.  It doesn’t matter in what capacity or if you are in the public eye or not.  I hope she gets the help she seeks.  She is such a wonderful person (or so it seems since I’ve not actually met her in person).

If you want to watch the episode it is online here: “Ali Vincent Steps on Scale and Reveals Her Weight Gain”

No comments: