7/4/14

Happy Birthday America!

Good Afternoon. I hope your 4th of July holiday is off to a great start and that you are enjoying time with your family and friends. Make sure you eat lots of yummy food and enjoy those fireworks. I love fireworks.

Sadly I am not spending time with my family today. While I do miss them I have to work tonight. Hey, at least it is extra money. Yeeeehaaaaw. Be safe out there!

I followed this guy on my way to work yesterday. He is showing off his America pride.



Fourth of July in the years past were spent at either Melba, Silver City or both. Grandma A lived in Melba, where my Mom grew up, and they were known for one of the best fireworks shows. Thousands of people flocked to the tiny town for the “Old Tyme 4th of July” daytime festivities and then the fireworks show at night. My Dad was one of the many that helped set up the night show and also set the fireworks off. As a kid it was fun to be able to get up close and person at the many night shows we would travel with him to. The only bummer was after the show ended we had to pick up bits of firework pieces in the field they would be setting them off at. This was done in the dark by headlights of somebody's vehicle. Ahhhhh...memories.

Melba also had a really great parade. We would arrive early and set up or chairs in front of Grandma A's house so we would ensure nobody would park there. It was a prime parade watching spot. And if you knew somebody in the parade, which was often as it was a small town, you could just walk down to the end of the street and see the parade go by a second time. Many times various family members would ride on floats for a certain year of the graduating class of Melba High School.

Our second home for the 4th of July festivities was Silver City. As kids we used to love to decorate the cabin. My family and extended family would make the drive to the mountains so us kids could play in the kids games and the adults could watch us. Three-legged races, sack races, foot races, stick-and-wheel races and the most favorite game of all. Each year there were a few bails of straw delivered that would be cut open and spread over a small area. Donations of loose change and dollars were accepted from the viewing patrons and thrown into the hay along with candy. Starting with the youngest in age and going up from there you would get a turn in the straw to look for money and candy. The candy was fun but the money was cool. If you earned enough (which I'm sure Mom or Dad threw in a few more to help) you could go to the Hotel and buy some candy cigarettes. I miss being a kid.

I have always had a love for fireworks and I always will. I have a special connection from the many years my Dad helped out at shows. My Aunt Barb flew each of us kids to Washington DC for our high school graduation gift. I picked the 4th of July so I could be there for the fireworks show. We walked downtown the night before where they were doing a dress rehearsal for the “Capitol 4th” show that would air on television. I saw Tony Danza in person, who was the MC. That really fun. The next night we rode the metro to the Capitol Mall area and watched the fireworks being set off looking up at the Washington Monument. It was an amazing experience that I will cherish the memories always.

Happy Birthday America!


No comments: