7/15/14

Healthier Oatmeal Scotchie Cookie

After many hours in the kitchen and several cookie taste-tests I have submitted my cookie recipe to Heather for her upcoming cookbook. I'm not sure if I'll be selected or when I'll know more. I will keep you posted.

This is not the recipe I submitted but was a close second. I love oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal scotchies are twice as delicious because of the yummy butterscotch chips in each bite. In this recipe I substituted coconut oil in place of butter, omitted the white sugar, and reduced the brown sugar. In doing so I didn't compromise the taste. These cookies are still sweet and equally delicious.

Enjoy


Healthier Oatmeal Scotchie Cookie
Serves 16

Ingredients:
1 cup (80 grams) old fashioned oats
½ cup (60 grams) whole wheat flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp table salt
¼ cup (8 Tbs) coconut oil
½ cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbs (45 grams) butterscotch chips

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up

Directions
  • In a small bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
  • In a larger bowl combine coconut oil and brown sugar. Using an electric mixer cream until incorporated. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated
  • Add dry ingredients slowly. Mix until combined. Mixture will be slightly thick
  • Fold in butterscotch chips
  • Spoon by tablespoon, or use a melon baller, onto cookie sheet leaving about one inch spacing between cookies
  • Bake for 12 minutes. Cookies should look firm and just barely start to turn brown around the edges.
  • Let cool two minutes than move to wire rack to cool completely


Weight Watchers: 2 PPV per cookie


No comments: