7/17/14

"The Skinny On Fats"


I received some information in the mail from one of our local hospitals St. Luke’s Medical Center.  It was an informative brochure talking about health.  It had an article called “The Skinny On Fats.”

I’ve written several blog posts about fat. 






As a Weight Watcher Member the program is designed to encourage fiber and protein but penalize fat and carbohydrates.  If you are eating a product that is higher in fat it is most likely higher in points.  However, not all fats are created equal (I’ve sad that a time or two).

From the article:

“Fat is a powerful source of energy, but not all fats are created equal.  And eating too much of any fat is not healthy.”  I will echo that last part.  Any food in excess isn’t healthy for you.  That includes eating a crap-ton of fruit and veggies or a crap-ton of French fries.  Our bodies need a balance of all foods that are good for us from all the major food groups.  WW encourages us to eat our Good Health Guidelines, which are all the foods that are good for us.  The problem is that most people when starting out on any diet, WW program included, we gravitate to low-fat and fat-free foods.  One major problem with this is that these products often contained added sugar and sodium so the product still tastes good.

What I liked about this article is the additional information it provides on what sources of fat are good for you and what amount you should consume.

Monounsatured is the best fat.  Shoot for 10% of your total daily calories from:

·        Olives

·        Peanut Butter

·        Almonds and almond butter

·        Avocados

·        Olive, canola, sesame, or peanut oil”

With the exception of avocados, I eat everything on this list.  I love peanut butter in my oatmeal.  I love olives (but not in my oatmeal).  I have been adding slivered almonds to my Greek yogurt.  I cook with olive oil daily.  I know I don’t focus on getting 10% of my daily calories though so this is something I need to work on.  I’ve really started to look at food as a whole vs. just the PPVs when I decide what I’m going to eat.





Polyunsaturated is next best and should also make up 10% of total calories.

·        Fish

·        Seeds and nuts, especially walnuts

·        Ground flaxseed

·        Use oils such as corn, soybean, etc sparingly”

I am not a fan of fish.  However, I have recently enjoyed these tilapia burgers I purchased at Costco.  We also buy breaded tilapia.  I am pretty particular about fish.  I love seeds and nuts but it isn’t something I have in my diet on a regular basis.  You get a very little portion for the higher amount of PPVs.  I might need to buy some walnuts though.  What a great addition to my oatmeal!


“Keep saturated fats to 7% of total calories.  Here’s how:

·        Remove skin from poultry

·        Limit butter

·        Choose lean meats and trim visible fat

·        Choose low-fat or fat-free dairy”

While the article does recommend low-fat and fat-free dairy, it is important to always check the labels.  You might find similar low-fat products have different amounts of added sugar or sodium.   I eat low-fat cheese and non-fat Greek yogurt.  I also eat regular cheese too.  I always remove the skin from my chicken and trim my meats before cooking.  We buy the leanest amount of fat ground beef and pork chops with the least amount of fat.  I’ve never been a huge fan of butter but I do enjoy real butter from time to time.  Like anything that is limited when you do have some a little goes a long way and tastes really good.


“Avoid trans fat, also known has hydrogenated fats, as much as possible.  They are found in:

·        Deep-fried foods

·        Cookies, pastries, and muffins

·        Chips, crackers, and pretzels

·        Cakes, pies, and donuts

·        Shortening and margarine”

Naturally this is the yummiest fat.  Who doesn’t love sweets and chips?  I refuse to give up any food.  I will still have foods on this list on occasion.  I make sure I limit my portion and enjoy every bite. 


Bottom line: If you balance out the foods you eat there is room for a little bit of everything, perhaps not every day.  I strive for about 80% healthy and about 20% fun.

1 comment:

Dawny said...

Love this..

thanks for all the time and effort/energy you put into this blog!! it's so insightful all the time =-)

and that you just put everything out there, and share so much..

I really LOVE it and look forward to it..