7/14/14

"White Knuckling Maintainers"


Kathy on the WW message boards started a conversation about “White Knuckling Maintainers” referencing Barbara’s blog post “Are You A White Knuckle Maintainer?  Tips for Letting Go.”


“It would be foolish to assert that maintenance is not difficult. Virtually every successful maintainer I know, including those who respond to this blog, are highly controlled in their eating habits. This is a necessity when we live in a world which surrounds us with opportunities to eat badly. In a world where anything is possible and everything is offered, a strong moral compass must guide our behavior. We've created a similar situation in the food environment and navigating that environment requires a clear sense of course and direction.

But it is my observation that those who succeed in maintenance long term are the ones who have learned to relax into the practice. Most of us start out with the ‘white knuckle’, teeth gritting approach. We try so hard, feel so challenged, and often have the sense that we are continually dodging a bullet. White knuckling through something can get you over the hump in the short term (like public speaking, or running the last half mile in a race), but it is unlikely to provide a long term success. And when you do let yourself slip, all that built up tension is likely to lead to a monumental fall.

The best outcome is one in which your maintenance behaviors become second nature and preferable, not forced. How to get there?”

“1. Accept the fact that learning maintenance takes time. Be patient. What you are looking for is habit building. So each day, think of working on ways to make yourself happy within the diet and fitness framework you've chosen. Do NOT try to adopt behaviors that you truly don't enjoy.”

I applaud those of you out there that run.  I know running is a great calorie burn.  However, I despise running and would not find any enjoyment out of it.  Over my five years of maintenance I have learned that if I’m going to be successful with diet and exercise it needs to be something enjoyable.


“2. Develop a touchstone. Have some mantra, or something about yourself that re-aligns you each day, reminds you of how far you've come and inspires you to keep going. This should be something that makes you feel very good.”

My WW meetings are my touchstone.  It keeps me grounded and connected to this important journey.  I need my meetings, my WW leaders, and my WW members for support.  I can’t do this alone.  I still struggle.  I need people there to help pep me up when I am feeling down.  I am thankful for my wonderful support network.


“3. Become an expert in you. Weight issues suffer from the input of too many ‘experts’ including me and people like me. You can learn from others, but don't take any of it as gospel.”

I have learned a lot about myself in the seven years since I joined WW.  I have been at my best and at my worst.  I am a constant work in progress.  I don’t let anybody tell me what I should or shouldn’t be doing. 


“4. Stop thinking about dieting and start thinking more about the creative process of working on your individual food choices. If you keep moving forward, you will be adding new pieces and discarding some old ones. You will be learning new things and storing away that knowledge for the future. You will be observing the things that trip up others and seeing the potholes before you fall into them. But one thing you will NOT be, is perfect all the time. Think more about enjoying your growing expertise and less about the times you mess up.”

We are all different.  No diet is one size fits all.  I enjoy reading about nutrition and learning more about healthy eating but I don’t let that influence all of my decisions.  Bottom line: I still get to chose what I eat.  Having pizza as a food options is what keeps me working this program.  Progress, not perfection.


“5. Stop being so serious. Laugh at yourself more and criticize yourself less.”

Why did you enter into this weight loss and maintenance journey if you are still going to be upset with yourself?  Belittle yourself?  Put yourself down?  If you are unhappy AFTER losing the weight then what was the point to being with?


“6. Applaud yourself. The vast majority of dieters never, ever become maintainers. If you are struggling with maintenance it's because you are one of the rare number who has actually managed to lose weight successfully.”

I needed to hear this today.  Regaining weight, even just a little, plays heavily on your mental health.  You always learn something about yourself if you struggle a bit.  The stronger you are the harder you work to push past the struggles.  I won’t back down.  I am stronger than that.

No comments: